Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unbelievable 162 US Dollar

No I know I am never going to use my spare one............

·
Registered
450 Posts
Steep. I'd imagine that a few people are trying to perform 100 point restorations on their CXTs and need everything accurate and original.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Steep. I'd imagine that a few people a trying to perform 100 point restorations on their CXTs and need everything accurate and original.

That's right on track with 250 turn signals.... NOS is still very hard to find on some things and the right buyers will pay the price. You don't find these everyday. If you are doing a restoration on a low mileage bike you may need this piece?

I believe all NOS items will climb dramatically in the next 10 years. If you watch the CBX items NOS parts bring HUGE money depending on the part type.

PK

·
Registered
220 Posts
I lost the auction o ebay by 2seconds. I bid 160U$. After loosing I kind of felt releived. That was a lot of dough for a filter I can make up

for around 30U$ or less.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I lost the auction o ebay by 2seconds. I bid 160U$. After loosing I kind of felt releived. That was a lot of dough for a filter I can make up

for around 30U$ or less.

Since you've been working on your bike for some time, I have to ask.

Are you building a museum piece where every part will be 100% accurate? Even a part likely to be missed by a judge because it's buried so deep within the bike, no one will ever see it?

I love keeping things as original as possible but even I have my limits. The shipping charge for that ebay filter would have been $5.10 for me. For about the cost of shipping I have a filter that works as good as the original and as an added bonus I can see the filter condition through the clear housing.

The $160 saved can buy me something like a spare ECU, several spare sensors, ignition module, a stator, cam chain, new tires, a new gel battery for each CXT...any number of things needed to keep the bike on the road. Personally I like investing in the irreplaceable items such as the ECU, ignition module and sensors. Without them the bike goes nowhere.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Understood, I should have said that it was NOS and installed in 2004. Not looking for lots of cash just put it up as a working option for someone wanting original parts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Since you've been working on your bike for some time, I have to ask.

Are you building a museum piece where every part will be 100% accurate? Even a part likely to be missed by a judge because it's buried so deep within the bike, no one will ever see it?

I love keeping things as original as possible but even I have my limits. The shipping charge for that ebay filter would have been $5.10 for me. For about the cost of shipping I have a filter that works as good as the original and as an added bonus I can see the filter condition through the clear housing.

The $160 saved can buy me something like a spare ECU, several spare sensors, ignition module, a stator, cam chain, new tires, a new gel battery for each CXT...any number of things needed to keep the bike on the road. Personally I like investing in the irreplaceable items such as the ECU, ignition module and sensors. Without them the bike goes nowhere.

George took the words right out of my mouth. Unless I was absolutely determined to be 100% concourse class original, then I would not even think about spending $160 on a fuel filter. After all it is just a fuel filter. I am more concerned with keeping the bike running and operational. Frankly, who the hell is looking at my fuel filter (of which right now mine is a modified clear Fram unit). I understand the unique opportunity of having original, and yes I also understand the laws of supply and demand. But, I hate the gouging that takes place in this business. I had it happen with my CBXers also, and didn't like it then. I have always found ways to may another part work or modify it accordingly. I am not a big fan of the almighty buck when it comes to holding a part hostage from someone who needs it. Again, I'll just modify and make something else work. Hey, Honda is a mega company and have made LOTS of bikes over the years. Interchanging is generally easy with a little homework, and I feel that myself and others here have adapted well to this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts