Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While continuing to work through the standard fuel tanks I have here I have come across an anomaly I've not noticed before.

I'm aware of the early 78 variant as I once gave a fuel tank to a friend and he had to source the latch etc. through the Oz forum. I hadn't even noticed the difference when I gave him the tank.

This would be the tank referred to in the US as the standard tank I guess. I have 78 tanks here though that resemble the next - and usual tank on my list.

This pic from google as I have none of these.

Early 78 tank.

I can see that the lock itself is different.

Next up, the item most of us are probably used to seeing.

Now .... this is the weird one {I actually have two}. Has anyone seen this one? Any ideas?

While I've not tried yet it appears it will take the usual lock and latch components.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mine's the early '78 model you have posted. Sorry. Not seen any others.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I checked my 78 also and it is the "solid" metal bracket also.

·
Super Moderator
20,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dfresh. I have a sneaking suspicion that no one in the US will have seen one due to the shorter duration of the use of this tank. {standard 78 - 79, 500D 79 - 81)

we got the standard until 82, as did much of Europe and the UK.

Basically wondering if these two tanks are from an 82 ..... or actually sits between the 78 and the full frame type.

Just curious really.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
The Deluxe tank, and maybe some of the later '79 Standards, have a locking cap cover. Those have a wire strike that can be extracted if the key is lost. The wire strike is missing in your last photo.

Randall

·
Super Moderator
20,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Randall. Both types {excluding the early 78} use the wire strikes and I have those and it appears to fit the anomalous tanks.

I'd really like to know where these tanks lay in the scheme of things.

Someone must have an unmolested original bike with one of these fitted.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Do your tanks have a splash skirt inside the filler hole? I've noticed this on Deluxe tanks, but not on my Standards.

·
Super Moderator
20,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one I'm pulling dents on now has. I'll get back to you on a general consensus of the others but I think yes.

I have another 3 inside that I just checked. Splash skirt. Two of these are the anomalous ones.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
In my (somewhat limited) experience, the splash skirt occurs with the spring strike on the Deluxe. Not sure about the late '79 Standards with the locking cover.
Do you have any examples of one without the other?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts