Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up a 1982 cx500 custom. The petcock had a leak in it, so I purchased a replacement kit from bike bandit. It seems now that I can not get fuel to pass through the petcock at all. We had some residual gas in the lines after the petcock and was able to start, but after it ran out, the bike died. We added a fuel filter with a site glass after the petcock to confirm we were not getting fuel past the petcock. We've taken the petcock of a few times to make sure it was rebuilt properly and it seems like it'c correct based on the exploded view from Bike Bandit. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a vacuum petcock?

Have you connected the vacuum line to the right carb?
It is a vacuum petcock
Right as in correct, or right as in Right vs Left?
I'll have to check when I get back to the garage to see how it is connected

·
Super Moderator
21,644 Posts
Right as in right carb. As in on the right of the bike. It is to the front of that carb - a brass barb. A vacuum line should run from this to one of the barbs on the petcock..

I'm not clear on vacuum petcocks as I only use manual but they have three lines. Vacuum, fuel supply to carb and a third which I THINK is only to allow air movement to allow the diaphram to flex.

Someone here will know how to plumb it - or use the FSM. It'll be in the 82 addendum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently we have it plumbed where the front hose goes to the right hand carb, middle vents to atmosphere and the rear feeds the carbs on the left hand

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
If the hoses are connected as shown then perhaps you need to revisit the rebuild of the petcock. Is the spring on the correct side of the diaphragm, or is something else out of place.

Reactions: CXPHREAK
1 - 8 of 8 Posts