Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up Larry's book, an ultra sonic cleaner, hand impact driver, and a mess of other supplies. I am having problems when I try to remove the main cross bar and top plate off of my carburetors.

I've tried letting then soak in the heated ultra sonic, applied some penetrating oil and they are still frozen in place. Should I try to apply direct heat with a torch to loosen them up? The threads are all intact; life lessons have taught me not to force the issue :/

Edit: I apologize for the broken links, I'll fix them when I get to a computer.

Edit: nvm

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You need an impact screw driver to loosen those screws. My impact driver cost about $10.00
and I would not be without it. The screws in the carbs seem to be soft or maybe it just seems that way.
A couple of taps with the impact driver will loosen them with out damaging the screw, usually.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a cheap impact driver from harbor freight; that may be my problem. I'll look into it sir.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe so; out of the two options (L and R) it's set to L. The driver seems to get stuck after every hit and I have to set it back to L. Then again, I could just be tightening them.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I believe so; out of the two options (L and R) it's set to L. The driver seems to get stuck after every hit and I have to set it back to L. Then again, I could just be tightening them.

I have that exact hammer impact driver. If you place the tip on a hard surface and push down, I believe you should be able to see the tip turn counterclockwise if it's set and functioning correctly. (This is from memory.) I'll have to try mine tomorrow. I know mine would turn those in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I use a long driver bit chucked up in my drill press . Crank the handle down to engage the driver bit in the screw head , then - holding pressure so the driver cant climb out - turn the drill chuck by hand in the direction you need. Works most time , and doesnt involve hitting your delicate carb body with an impact driver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to get everything loosened up with an couple hour soak in the hot ultra sonic with just water, pulled them out, applied penetrating oil then used the trick from DanCX500 and CXPHREAK to double check my impact driver turning direction. It just took a lot of hits to loosen them up; more hits than I thought.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had some trouble with mine I used vice grips then replaced with screws from my spare set of carbs,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts