Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a used front wheel off ebay about a week ago and it came in today. It was supposedly off a GL500 (same bike as mine), except its' set up for a single disk rather than dual like my bike has. I was wondering if there is a way I can make this work with my bike. I havent fit it up to the bike yet since I just got it, but was wondering if its just a matter of swapping out the hub bolts (that hold the disks on) for the ones in the dual disk wheel or are they totally different?

Obviously it's my fault here, I didnt ask the seller questions before buying it, but in all fairness it was $5.00 (with $42.00 shipping, but still for less than $50 I got a wheel, brake disk, and set of original handlebar grips). I bought this with then intention of just bringing it to the shop to get a new tire mounted rather than paying the guy to take my front wheel off. Plus, I'll wind up with a useable spare in case the new tire somehow gets ruined (knock on wood).

If I cant make this work I'll just have to resell it, but I'm hoping I can do something here.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, the wheels are the same for the Interstate and non-Interstate.

You can transfer the dual disc rotors from your bike to the wheel you just purchased. You will have to use the bolts from the dual disc setup, as the single disc bolts are not long enough.

Note, the dual disc brake rotors are smaller in diameter than the single disc rotors, so you need to transfer both. You can't just transfer the missing side one over.

However, if you can get you hands on another GL500 single disc brake rotor and the caliper brackets from a 1982 GL1100 (Goldwing Standard or Interstate, not Aspencade which had vented brakes), it is an easy upgrade to get the larger diamer rotors on both sides to increase your stopping power. Here is a thread describing the details: http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/196970/ShowPost.aspx

The CB900 rotors the author refers to are the same diameter as the single disk GL500, although the GL500 rotoros are 2mm thicker.

Greg

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes, the wheels are the same for the Interstate and non-Interstate.

You can transfer the dual disc rotors from your bike to the wheel you just purchased. You will have to use the bolts from the dual disc setup, as the single disc bolts are not long enough.

Note, the dual disc brake rotors are smaller in diameter than the single disc rotors, so you need to transfer both. You can't just transfer the missing side one over.

However, if you can get you hands on another GL500 single disc brake rotor and the caliper brackets from a 1982 GL1100 (Goldwing Standard or Interstate, not Aspencade which had vented brakes), it is an easy upgrade to get the larger diamer rotors on both sides to increase your stopping power. Here is a thread describing the details: http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/196970/ShowPost.aspx

The CB900 rotors the author refers to are the same diameter as the single disk GL500, although the GL500 rotoros are 2mm thicker.

Greg

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am Spacetiger.

If you need the pics, I think I can still find them. If I were you, I would find the different caliper brackets and bigger discs and upgrade the brakes. The post still has the correct information on what to look for on ebay and the parts are not too bad.

Jerry

·
Registered
993 Posts
Does the CB900 info in the other post work on a '78 CX500 wheel and front forks? Or would I need the right fork plus all the other parts?

Is the front wheel on a CX500 the same as the GL500 & GL500I?

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
400 Posts
Does the CB900 info in the other post work on a '78 CX500 wheel and front forks? Or would I need the right fork plus all the other parts?

Is the front wheel on a CX500 the same as the GL500 & GL500I?

Thanks!

David

David,

The 78 uses 33mm stanchions. I am not sure what other Honda bike that used this size fork with a dual disc setup. I think you will have to convert over the fork assembly to at least a 35mm. That's what the GL500 used. There are other bike of that era that can be used too. To keep the costs done, you should try to get a complete front end; forks, brakes, triple tree. Then all you have to do is get new tapered head bearings and bolt it up. You may also have to rebuild the forks and calipers. But these are not too hard things to do. Search the site. Others have done this mod too and can advise you as well.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
RAFster,

I'm in the same boat. I just got a set of '78 wheels and want to use the CB900F dual disc set up. I think I'm going to attempt switcing the center hub from both wheels. May need a spacer unless the hubs are the same as the tire appears to be thinner on the '78 than the CB. Let me know what you think.

Scrap

Rhodekill,

I'm doing the CB900F swap within the next 2 weeks. I will be swapping the entire front end (triples, forks, brakes, wheel(?)) I did a rough draft on an old '82 frame, seemed pretty straight forward. As a bonus, you get 39mm forks instead of 35 with the GLs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts