Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I had a new front tire put on...made a huge difference in the handeling...used to get bumpy, or wobbly, or shakey, or some other word to describe an uncomfortable feeling....but now is rides smooth...

More success on the new bike...

I noticed when I removed the front axle, the castle nut was not really tight, just a little twist by hand and it unscrewed...when I went to re-install the wheel, I checked the manual for the correct torques and the castle nut had a pretty high torque...so I started to tighten it and the wheel no longer spun freely...so I loosed the castle nut to the way it was when I disassemble and put in the cotter pin and am back on the road...

Did I do something wrong here? Was the nut too loose when I removed it? Is the torque spec in the manual wrong?

Thanks....

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
Ok start fresh. Not knowing which bike you actually have I'm going to use the 78-80 as an example.

Place the axle through the fork, tire, speedometer gear, and other fork. Don't tighten anything.

Then spin the castle nut on. On the right side of the bike or left side when facing the tire from the front there is a groove in the axle for a wrench. I believe it's 17mm. Hold that with a wrench and tighten the castle nut to the correct torque. It's some where around 40 I believe. Doing this pulls the wheel and other stuff to the left side of the bike. Now on the right side of the bike put on the fork axle bracket and tighten it.

If you put it on and tighten it before you torque the axle nut then you will pull the forks together and they will bind.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Do as Don says but on mine I take the castle nut as tight as I can get it to allow me to put the split pin(Or R-clip) in through the hole in the Axle.This does not always correspond exactly with the toque values but I want that pin in for security but never over-tighten it.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks supertanker...

I have an '80 Delux...bought it to do a cafe project in the winter and wanted to ride a bit this summer since I last rode before this bike was made so I got a rider, not a basket case...started by pulling off the windshield, luggage rack, hard bags and back res...but...as I have been riding I've slowly added back first the windshield, then the luggage rack and hardbags, and tonight the back rest...I must have gotten old somewhere along the way...

I did the assembly opposite, starting with the fork axle clip...I'll re-do tonight...then again next week when I replace the fork seals...

thanks for your help....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Shep...Although I would only have spent a half hour fretting over the decision to over torque or under torqe for the pin, I would have thought about the possability of haveing made the wrong decision every time I rode.

Reactions: Russ_Stamey

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Thanks Shep...Although I would only have spent a half hour fretting over the decision to over torque or under torqe for the pin, I would have thought about the possability of haveing made the wrong decision every time I rode.

I've done it this way on both my CX for years and never had the axle nut come loose

I hate split pins so prefer these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COTTER-PI...290?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item336486262a

I use them front and back and on the torsion bar at the rear.Don't know if they are called the same over there.They are also called,"R" clips over here.

Yup.Found em'

http://cgi.ebay.com/150pc-R-HITCH-P...902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fc339f06

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Just a .02 caveat or 2 or three and a 1$ lost part that parked me for 48hrs...

... Don't forget the (Expletive Deleted) axle spacer.

Or do as I did, and loose mine ( found it stuck in the milk crate plastic triangles a month later
) I made a new one after I tore my shop apart looking for the missing bit.

FS: one newish factory axle spacer.... 200$ ( search labor included)

on my 82 custom it's a bit different than what Stich describes above. I'm not sure that it has not been P.O. modified so I'm not sure and won't suggest a process other than the shop manual's reverse removal.

and with my mods, at least my non stock brake rotor rides between the pads on the non-stock caliper

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've done it this way on both my CX for years and never had the axle nut come loose

I hate split pins so prefer these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COTTER-PI...290?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item336486262a

I use them front and back and on the torsion bar at the rear.Don't know if they are called the same over there.They are also called,"R" clips over here.

Yup.Found em'

http://cgi.ebay.com/150pc-R-HITCH-P...902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fc339f06
shep,those pins are very popular in agriculture,called a hair pin clip,on a tractor,s links its safe and quick

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure what the axle spacer is...I don't see that part description in the exploded view I am looking at... could it be the "collar"...the tube between the two bearings?

I didn't remove the bearings so I am assuming it is in there...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
no... it's like a 10mm or 12 ( I cannot remember ) it goes on the axle outside of the right side wheel bearing, the spacer between the bearings is only removable if you have the bearings out. This issue has been visited here before.

I know it's Tapas time in the South of Espana', but I believe the Spanish Bandit once posted the parts blow up.

Yo Bandito, Que Pasa?

Edit: see this thread...

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...__hl__+axle++spacer__fromsearch__1#entry26920

the spacer I lost is number 4 on the parts blow up Bandit posted... it has no label on the blow up from my shop manny? it's the short one just outside the dust Seal.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
no... it's like a 10mm or 12 ( I cannot remember ) it goes on the axle outside of the right side wheel bearing, the spacer between the bearings is only removable if you have the bearings out. This issue has been visited here before.

I know it's Tapas time in the South of Espana', but I believe the Spanish Bandit once posted the parts blow up.

Yo Bandito, Que Pasa?
hombre,i looked,the delux went over a few years,really need the year of the bike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't remember the #4 spacer when I took the wheel off...or reinsalled, but I'll look for it tonight

I have an '80 Delux...bought it to do a cafe project in the winter and wanted to ride a bit this summer since I last rode before this bike was made so I got a rider, not a basket case...started by pulling off the windshield, luggage rack, hard bags and back rest...but...as I have been riding ...I've slowly added back, first the windshield, then the luggage rack and hardbags, and tonight the back rest...I must have gotten old somewhere along the way...

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I don't remember the #4 spacer when I took the wheel off...or reinsalled, but I'll look for it tonight

I have an '80 Delux...bought it to do a cafe project in the winter and wanted to ride a bit this summer since I last rode before this bike was made so I got a rider, not a basket case...started by pulling off the windshield, luggage rack, hard bags and back rest...but...as I have been riding ...I've slowly added back, first the windshield, then the luggage rack and hardbags, and tonight the back rest...I must have gotten old somewhere along the way...

This should help,

http://www.donandroys.com/fiche_sec...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1980&fveh=3403

Bookmark the main page for your model,

http://www.donandroys.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1980&fveh=3403

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The right axle bracket has an arrow on it. Point it forward. Tighten front nut first then rear. There should be a washer under the castle nut also. K

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I pulled the forks off to replace the seals and in looking at the exploded view saw that there should be lock washers on the right side axel bracket which my bike did not have...so I am gong to add when I reassemble...any comments fro the experts here?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts