Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone snap a couple pics of their front (stock) turn signals and the male/female connections for me? When I bought my bike the previous owner removed them completely and I can't find any good pictures on google of how they are set up with the wiring. I do have a set of signals, but there is no connector on the end (just the two wires) so I'm curious as to what the stock connections look like. Thanks!

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm stuck at work and can't work on the bike right now so later on is perfectly fine

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I pretty darn sure they're common size single bullet connector that you can find at any auto parts store.

I can't take any pix as my bike is still out at OldOkie's place in another town but in the google docs site. (link in any of Blindstiches posts) Everything is color coded so it shouldn't present any problems

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I have the color wiring diagram. My bike (and maybe this isn't factory, I'm not sure) has a two wire with external ground female connector coming from the bike and my turn signals are just wires with no corresponding male connector. The previous owner did some funky electrical stuff (splitting the stock horn into two, removing the front signals and moving them to the back) so I'm trying to put it all back to stock and just need some guidance as to what is stock up front and what isn't.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hope this helps. Although I'm having some problems up there my self. Looks Like I'm going to have to run an auxiliary ground wire to the blinkers. Best to DL the wiring diagrams available at the forum as suggested by marshallf3. Heaven only knows what previous owners do to these bikes! After 30-years, corrosion can set in in a lot of places. This is from an '80C.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yea I have the color wiring diagram. My bike (and maybe this isn't factory, I'm not sure) has a two wire with external ground female connector coming from the bike and my turn signals are just wires with no corresponding male connector. The previous owner did some funky electrical stuff (splitting the stock horn into two, removing the front signals and moving them to the back) so I'm trying to put it all back to stock and just need some guidance as to what is stock up front and what isn't.
I have a similar situation. Here's my question: Where is the "Flasher" module located? The book says under the "nacelle", but I haven't been able to find it. It is a 3 prong flasher like in a car, or is it a miniature part?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'm not sure about other models, but on my deluxe the flasher unit is on the back right side, on the frame under the side cover.  It's about the size of my thumb, if that helps you locate it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My Clymer manual for a '78 / '79 says it's inside the nacelle. Guess what? It's not there coz I have an '80. From the sound of the blinker relay working, I'd say it's behind the side covers or under the seat. The small module behind my nacelle is a 7-V regulator. Had me fooled for a minute. My blinkers do not work until I clip a fresh ground wire from the engine to the short braided wire on the blinker bulb receptacle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Clymer manual for a '78 / '79 says it's inside the nacelle. Guess what? It's not there coz I have an '80. From the sound of the blinker relay working, I'd say it's behind the side covers or under the seat. The small module behind my nacelle is a 7-V regulator. Had me fooled for a minute. My blinkers do not work until I clip a fresh ground wire from the engine to the short braided wire on the blinker bulb receptacle.
Bingo. Same thing here. My 80 Custom is exactly as you described. I took the seat off and hit the blinker: I could hear a relay sound coming from the box in the middle of the frame. I will try your idea about the ground wire. That's the second time someone has mentioned that on the forums. But they box I am referring to doesnt look anything like the kind of flashers I have seen in the past. Thanks much.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow.. ok... Condoski thank you so much for the pictures. I'm going to get some pictures of what is on my bike currently tomorrow morning and post them up. Its strange, its this weird two pin female connector that is made of metal and there is a ground wire soldered to the outside. There are no open wires like there!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow.. ok... Condoski thank you so much for the pictures. I'm going to get some pictures of what is on my bike currently tomorrow morning and post them up. Its strange, its this weird two pin female connector that is made of metal and there is a ground wire soldered to the outside. There are no open wires like there!
Thanks to Condoski for me also. Sound like someone has done some re-rigging of your wiring, which has previously been noted to be not so unusual. Condos pictures look about the same as mine. Thanks to all on this forum for the help

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hold the phone a minute, this is my first CX, I don't know what I'm doing! There are folks at this forum that know these machines better than the guys who built them. But hey, us "Newbies" have gotta stick together and learn the old-fashioned way. When we get in trouble, the pros will bail us out. All you gotta do is ask. This forum rocks!

Yeah, sounds like someone did something evil to formz wiring. My '78 / '79 Clymer diagram seems to be holding true. I'm also using (schaltplan_1979_cx500c_am) found on Blindstitch post pages. It reads a lot easier if you turn it vertical, and output it in full color on 8.5" x 14" stock. That and a multimeter. One thing is becoming very clear: Although the CX's have an amazingly sweet drive train, any 30-year old wiring is subject to corrosion / faults just about anywhere. I pulled apart and cleaned the ignition switch using this link as my reference: http://globalcxglvtw...on+switch#p2604 I'm still reading only 5-V to the headlamp coming out of the start switch, so that's the next one to come apart and get cleaned. Afterward, I'm sure I'll go at the blinker switch. All visible connections will be opened and blasted with contact cleaner (safety glasses on!) and "pinched" to assure solid connection. Is this fun or what! Tip: When messing with switches, go slow, keep a towel lined shoe box close under it when removing (and installing) from the bike. During disassembly, do it on a towel so things don't go bouncing all over the place. Taking pics as you go won't hurt either. Oh, and least we forget: All electrical starts at the battery.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright guys, as promised... here is the female end of the plug that is coming from the bike to the front turn signals.

Is this stock? Its a two wire (as you can see with the two pins inside) with a ground wire soldered to the external, metal housing.

FULL SIZE: http://i.imgur.com/z5Psq.jpg

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hmmm... Beats me with a stick! My initial impression is that it looks like an 1157 bulb receiver. But if it's a female receiver looking for it's male counterpart, then I'm wrong. Maybe someone will be able to ID this thing, although instinct tells me you're going to need to go to a wiring diagram and simply start sorting things out. I lucked out yesterday and all my lights are now working. Can't say exactly what the trick was other than individually opening and cleaning (CRC contact cleaner) all connections bullets and terminal blocks, in and around the nacelle. Put a little pinch on all the bullet connectors to assure wiggle free contact. Tiny needle nose pliers will help with removing / pinching / installing the bullets, so you don't stress the wire by simply pulling on them. Wiring diagrams aren't so bad. Study them until you're confused, then go back and do it again, then again. In good time I will open up and fully photograph the blinker switch and start button switch for a thorough cleaning. BTW, yes, there are two wires (each) going to the front lamps. One is for blinker the other is for running lights. On my bike they are both black. Another thing is that for the blinkers / running lights to work, the ears need to be grounded (bolted) to the nacelle. With the nacelle removed you need to provide a ground directly to the individual ears.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Have you tried a new flasher unit?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm... Beats me with a stick! My initial impression is that it looks like an 1157 bulb receiver. But if it's a female receiver looking for it's male counterpart, then I'm wrong. Maybe someone will be able to ID this thing, although instinct tells me you're going to need to go to a wiring diagram and simply start sorting things out. I lucked out yesterday and all my lights are now working. Can't say exactly what the trick was other than individually opening and cleaning (CRC contact cleaner) all connections bullets and terminal blocks, in and around the nacelle. Put a little pinch on all the bullet connectors to assure wiggle free contact. Tiny needle nose pliers will help with removing / pinching / installing the bullets, so you don't stress the wire by simply pulling on them. Wiring diagrams aren't so bad. Study them until you're confused, then go back and do it again, then again. In good time I will open up and fully photograph the blinker switch and start button switch for a thorough cleaning. BTW, yes, there are two wires (each) going to the front lamps. One is for blinker the other is for running lights. On my bike they are both black. Another thing is that for the blinkers / running lights to work, the ears need to be grounded (bolted) to the nacelle. With the nacelle removed you need to provide a ground directly to the individual ears.
Holy shit, you're right it does look like a bulb socket. I understand the wiring diagrams completely, but what has me confused is the fact that they don't show a socket like this one even exists!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Something doesn't look factory there, the original flasher just had two (occasionally three) wires going to it that were nothing more then spade terminals.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts