Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda Cx500C
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 80’cx500 just did a restore on it. One of the things being turn lights. For some reason the fronts aren’t blinking but the rears are. I have new turn relay, and I’ve checked the grounds/wiring. Any ideas?
Also noticing weird engine noise almost like a whirring coming from the right side at slow right hand turns. Gets louder as I lean the bike over.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
One of the things being turn lights. For some reason the fronts aren’t blinking but the rears are. I have new turn relay, and I’ve checked the grounds/wiring.
Does this, "... I’ve checked the grounds/wiring...", mean that you have checked to see that you are getting current at the front turn signal lamp sockets?

Reactions: washoe

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
Have you installed LED indicators? They won't draw enough current to cycle a thermal flasher.

Reactions: D-Fresh and washoe

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Well the running lights work they just don’t flash
The front signals have two power feeds, one for the running lights and one for the turn signal. The power to a running lights is cut off when the turn signal is activated. Does the running light turn off when you turn on an indicator?

·
Registered
1980 Honda Cx500C
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The front signals have two power feeds, one for the running lights and one for the turn signal. The power to a running lights is cut off when the turn signal is activated. Does the running light turn off when you turn on an indicator?
Yes if I were to turn in the left signal light the running light turns off and nothing happens it just stays off we’re the rear light will do a hyper flash and then turn to a stale light with no flash just stays on. Until I turn the signal off.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,407 Posts
Have you replaced the signals or are they the original ones?
If they aren't original please post a link to what you have.

The front signals for these bikes should have 3 wires: ground, bright filament (signal) and dim filament (running light). Have you checked that they are all connected correctly and that both filaments of each bulb is working?

·
Registered
12,075 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda Cx500C
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the running light turns off but doesn’t proceed to flash, I have new flasher relay and cleaned switch and double checked my wiring with my manual. The rears flash when I turn my signals on.

·
Registered
1980 Honda Cx500C
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you replaced the signals or are they the original ones?
If they aren't original please post a link to what you have.

The front signals for these bikes should have 3 wires: ground, bright filament (signal) and dim filament (running light). Have you checked that they are all connected correctly and that both filaments of each bulb is working?
I bought a random pair off of my local shop that specializes with Hondas. It’s a 2 wire led turn signal. I’m not to sure why they would give me 4 of the same turn signals if they knew it couldn’t work. So theirs gotta be a way. The rears flash, the front running lights turn off. But don’t flash

·
Registered
1980 Honda Cx500C
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which wire did you not connect if there are only 2 wires on the new signals?
Well the stock turn signals only had two wires when I took the out (orange/white orange) and
(blue/white blue) so I I hooked it up the only way I could. If I switch the wires I have nothing but at the state I have it at only the runners work.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
The stock indicators ground through the mount. Your replacement is a simple, single circuit. If you ground the second wire, it should flash, but you'll lose the marker.
To make it function properly, you'll need a smart relay. There's a design around here somewhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts