Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so the saga continues (as does everyone else's I'm sure):

I took the 79 Custom out for a test ride the other day and while looking it over during ride I could see the front tire wobbling. I know there is a 2mm acceptance or something like that, but this seemed more to my eye. I could only feel it a few times and didn't ride far at all (1/2 mile maybe - not even titled yet)so I honestly don't have much to offer for help.

What are the main things I should be doing and or looking for? I'd like to start with the less invasive stuff first before ripping my wheel apart but I'm guessing that I'll be doing that to check bearings.

Could it simply be the tire? That would make me happy as this one has the rot started and needs to be replaced anyway.

As always, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
For starters if possible safely jack up the bike under the engine so you can lift the front wheel off the ground so you can spin the wheel.Hold a pencil just slightly away from the tyre then the rim and spin the wheel to see if it's a malformed/badly seated tyre or a bent rim.

Also sometimes tyres develop bulges especially if they have hit something but not punctured on the road.

Also,

http://www.ehow.com/how_4584111_check-motorcycle-wheel-alignment.html

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shep,

Seriously, you are the fastest responder ever! Thanks again. I'll get on that tomorrow. That seems easier than pulling the wheel apart already.

·
Registered
170 Posts
No tyre ever runs true, but you should have less than 1mm runout both laterally and radially. Jack the front wheel off the ground so you can check the mechanical truth of the system. Using a fixed pointer, check for a bent rim and try to flex the whole asssembly to check wheel bearings (check the head bearings also by rocking the forks)If all checks out ok then your problem is tyre related. If you look down near the edge of the rim flange you will see a series of concentric lines on the tyre. These are common to all manufacturers and are there expressly for the purpose of being a visual guide to rim fit. This should be even all around the rim flange (on both sides of the tyre) to show correct fitment. If you have two non coincident high or low spots on differing sides then this will cause uneven wear and/or lateral runout that may cause the tyre to flutter. Also be aware however, if looking at the tyre in use, the edges of the tyre may indeed flex ( if the pattern breaks the outer edge of the tread width) but that will not cause physical wobbling. If you have a tyre stability problem this will manifest itself in various ways and is most easily identified by harsh acceleration up to 50mph, then drop the throttle, let go of both bars, and tap the end of one handlebar stoutly. You may well develop a self decaying weave that will eventually stop as the speed drops. The speed/amplitude of the weave may well increase but do not be alarmed. If it worries you and you wish to stop it carefully place both hands back onto the bars with no pressure and slowly lean forward to place more weight on your wrists before tightening your grip to completely decay the weave. If any of the above shows a problem replace the tyre, but dependant upon the amount of remained tread depth you may wish your dealer to further pursue it with the manufacturer for a possible discounted replacement, as, if fitted correctly and wobble is present this is normally a sign of incorrect build execution or curing of the tyre as long as no othe mechanical effects are present (dragging brakes etc)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.