Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm servicing my front shocks and I know the manual says to use Dexron ATF, but has anyone tried regular fork oil? Is it the same but a fraction of the price?

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts
The manual says that because fork oil wasn't wasn't really a thing then. Oil in the forks yes but fork oil no.

Replace with a good fork oil. I use Belray.

·
Registered
24,404 Posts
10 if you are 150 or less and only ride 2 up once in while

15 if you are 150-180 and only ride 2 up once in a while

20 if you are above 180

lol i also use belray never modern atf it is not the same as it was 34 years ago and has a lot

of different additives and properties now

·
Registered
328 Posts
10 if you are 150 or less and only ride 2 up once in while

15 if you are 150-180 and only ride 2 up once in a while

20 if you are above 180

lol i also use belray never modern atf it is not the same as it was 34 years ago and has a lot

of different additives and properties now
What he said. I went to progressive fork springs and 15wt fork oil and it makes a huge difference.

Reactions: Br3n0s

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If you're going to use only 10w (150lbs or less), just use ATF and save the money.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
ATF has a viscosity rating of about 8 , I believe. I use 20 weight fork oil and added preload spacers to my fork springs. No problems now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! I thought the ATF fluid recommendation was a little outdated ;) I'm going with the 15W using new progressive springs. That should improve my ride quality substantially.
I replaced the rear shocks and only after doing that I realized what poor condition my front shocks were in. IMG_20150327_160552.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts