Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the front fork oil. Do you have to pull the forks off of the bike and dump it out? That's dumb if true!! How about drilling and taping a hole at the bottom to facilitate this next time.

Someone stated that you should use 10 weight fork oil instead of ATF. Thoughts?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like BelRay 20 weight fork oil. It gives you a much better feel than ATF. ATF was used 30 year ago. There have been improvements in fork dampening oil technology since then. I on the forks without a drain you must remove the forks and dump them out from the top. If you're going that far you might as well take them completely apart, wash out the inside and replace the fork seals and wipers.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
+10 to the 20w fork oil but I've never bothered to change the wipers in either of my Cxs.I have replaced the fork seals that went though on one of them with Pyramid brand seals.My forks don't have the drains so I have to take them off and find with dual discs it's easier to remove the brake calipers as well for easy re-fit of the front wheel and I do a brake service at the same time if I have to do this.

HTH

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose that you are going to tell me that changing the fork seals are no big deal, right? Does make sense if you are that far into it. Beside, I have had so many surprises with thid bike what is one more! Still can't figure out why there are no drain holes. My 1970 450 has them.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I suppose that you are going to tell me that changing the fork seals are no big deal, right? Does make sense if you are that far into it. Beside, I have had so many surprises with thid bike what is one more! Still can't figure out why there are no drain holes. My 1970 450 has them.

Contact me and I can talk you through it. I already sent you my email address.

Otherwise, if you want to wait until spring, you can ride up by me and we can do it in a day.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great, Bandit! Just what I was looking for. Thanks, Blindstich, for the offer. If I get into trouble I will take you up on it. I am very thick skulled and like to learn by mistake.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
That's great, Bandit! Just what I was looking for. Thanks, Blindstich, for the offer. If I get into trouble I will take you up on it. I am very thick skulled and like to learn by mistake.
take them apart one at a time.you then have a referance if you mix up the order for re-assembly

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
take them apart one at a time.you then have a referance if you mix up the order for re-assembly

Also use your great tip when fitting the new one.Even if using a piece of plastic pipe use the old seal on top of the new one to help prevent damage when pressing the new seal in.I lubricated my new ones with fork oil so they slid in easier.Also be careful of damaging the inner seal skirt that the tubes come up through.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
You do have the easier forks. To get the seals out you will need a pry bar flipped around to easily pull out the seal and a long 6mm allen socket and possibly an impact drive. Don't forget to loosen the fork caps first. But just loosen them don't take them off till everything is apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.