Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm am removing the cover for the first time to replace a leaking gasket. I have removed all of the bolts, and have followed all of the advice I found on other posts to remove it (I don't have a torch, so I haven't tried to heat it yet).

I'm a little worried that the previous owner used some sort of adhesive or sealant that is making it impossible to remove. Any ideas? I'm getting a little desperate here.

Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
The gasket is probably welding it on pretty tight. It also has two dowel pin in it for alignment. On the clutch side I believe there is a bit of a lip so you can place a wooden drift on the lift facing forward and tap it pretty good to break things loose.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ill probably get stick but.a very sharp low grind wood chisel.all the way around,bit by bit.slowly slowly.that cover will not appreciate distorting.1/2 mm at a time.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Take all the bolts out and then get a set if Vice grips or a tube onto and actuate the Clutch operating arm.This forces the front cover forward.

Expect dowels and clutch mushroom plunger to drop into the floor.Whilst cover is off clean sump and oil pump strainer.Use Blue loctite on the small M6 10mm bolt that secures the oil pump driven gear and only low torque to max 9 Ftlbs on refit.

HTH

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Success!!

A couple carefully placed hits on a wooden dowel on the lip under the clutch was enough to break the seal.

Thanks Blindstitch and bandit.

I would be lost without this forum.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
In addition to the gasket, this is the perfect time to replace the seal for the clutch actuator rod.
and the pump pick up,there is a gauze,that needs to be clean.adjust the pump chain[if you can,there is not a lot of adjustment]

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Don't lose the little oil jet that is over the transmission. Several people have lost it and/or had it drop out while reinstalling the front cover. When you put the cover back on hold the jet in place with a nice dab of grease. You will lose oil pressure without the jet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.