Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I had my 81 Deluxe out for a short test ride since I just finished re-wiring basically the entire thing, and I noticed two things since this is basically the most I’ve ridden it since I got it.

First, I noticed a bit of a coolant leak coming from the front of the engine. It looked like it was coming from somewhere up behind the radiator, but I didn’t have the time to fully investigate today. Any thoughts, or recs on where I should be looking? I should also note that I topped off the tank with distilled water before I took it out and it was basically empty once I was back. I don’t currently have a temp gauge (it’s on the list) so not sure if it was overheating.

Which brings me to my next question since I’m not sure if they’re related. I have a stretch near my house where I can get it up to highway speeds, and when I came to a stop it was idling pretty high (around 4-5k) I brought it back, turned it off for about 10 minutes and it was back to normal. Any thoughts on where I should look? Do these idle high when they’re getting hot?

Thanks!
-Nick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the gas tank and check all the joints at the thermostat housing and hoses.
Roger that! I'm also going to pull the radiator and see if it's coming from somewhere behind there. I had the tank off and noting obvious from up top

-Nick

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
The other possibilities would a leak on the back side of the radiator or a leaking drain on a cylinder jacket. The joints at the thermostat bridge are the most likely culprits.

Randall

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I dug into both issues yesterday:

I drained and removed the radiator, and could source the leak. Some of the front cover bolts were a smidge loose, so I tightened everything up there, and refilled the coolant. No more leaks

For the high idle, the nut on the carb-side of the throttle cable fell off and was just pinching the throttle open. Tightened that and did some adjusting and she's running great now!

Thanks for the input guys!

-Nick

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
I wonder if he tightened the jacket drains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts