Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I had my 81 Deluxe out for a short test ride since I just finished re-wiring basically the entire thing, and I noticed two things since this is basically the most I’ve ridden it since I got it.

First, I noticed a bit of a coolant leak coming from the front of the engine. It looked like it was coming from somewhere up behind the radiator, but I didn’t have the time to fully investigate today. Any thoughts, or recs on where I should be looking? I should also note that I topped off the tank with distilled water before I took it out and it was basically empty once I was back. I don’t currently have a temp gauge (it’s on the list) so not sure if it was overheating.

Which brings me to my next question since I’m not sure if they’re related. I have a stretch near my house where I can get it up to highway speeds, and when I came to a stop it was idling pretty high (around 4-5k) I brought it back, turned it off for about 10 minutes and it was back to normal. Any thoughts on where I should look? Do these idle high when they’re getting hot?

Thanks!
-Nick

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,598 Posts
The other possibilities would a leak on the back side of the radiator or a leaking drain on a cylinder jacket. The joints at the thermostat bridge are the most likely culprits.

Randall

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I dug into both issues yesterday:

I drained and removed the radiator, and could source the leak. Some of the front cover bolts were a smidge loose, so I tightened everything up there, and refilled the coolant. No more leaks

For the high idle, the nut on the carb-side of the throttle cable fell off and was just pinching the throttle open. Tightened that and did some adjusting and she's running great now!

Thanks for the input guys!

-Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts