Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First winter project for me will be to change the front end in my CX. I have a couple complete stock front ends from hawks, and an old F2 front end out of one of my racebikes. The f2 was sprung for a hawk so it would be way wrong on the 500lb beast but wanting dual disk and a 17" wheel i think this is my best option.

Anyone had any luck swaping out the front end? I have not measured but just by eye the biggest issue seems to be the f2 are shorter than the CX forks. How much i dont know, but less trail on this thing will be an improvement i belive, as long as the ride height is still good.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Many have swapped forks. Usually it's the forks from a cb750 or similar bike but some have used cbr forks with good results. It's just a matter of getting a whole front end and starting there.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
First winter project for me will be to change the front end in my CX. I have a couple complete stock front ends from hawks, and an old F2 front end out of one of my racebikes. The f2 was sprung for a hawk so it would be way wrong on the 500lb beast but wanting dual disk and a 17" wheel i think this is my best option.

Anyone had any luck swaping out the front end? I have not measured but just by eye the biggest issue seems to be the f2 are shorter than the CX forks. How much i dont know, but less trail on this thing will be an improvement i belive, as long as the ride height is still good.

check out charles' new project.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the complete front ends, right down to the tire. Hawks will accept any modern honda front with minimal to no modifications so we end up with a small collection of honda front ends.

Would the best method be to press the stem out of the bottom triple of the cx and into the f2 tripple? Had talked on another forum about cutting the steerer tube off the cx and getting another welded on so i could change the rake and have a multitude of options for front ends at the same time. Seems excessive though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Anybody have a link from the old forum on Honda front end bearings?AGB-1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AGB-1 from hawk forum?? if so, HI!

·
Registered
851 Posts
AGB-1 from hawk forum?? if so, HI!
I have a new (07) GSX-R 760 front end on my 78 Deluxe. I took the stem out of an old CX lower triple and had it spray welded and precision ground to match the lower triple form the GSX-R and pressed it in. The larger diameter fork tubes coupled with much less offset caused the tubes to hit the gas tank so I had to deal with that. The Honda use a 'gull wing' triple which is preferred because the GSX-R triples are flat and the stem is then too short by about .200" I'm very pleaseed with the results though, radial brake calipers 300mm rotors, radial master cylinder, and Galfer "Superbike" S/S brakelines. My front wheel is still a Comstar 2.15" x 18" that I made up from Honda parts and powder coated. Plus the wheels will match front to rear and be properly sized. I don't care for the look of mis-matched wheels. Like wearing a blue suit with brown shoes ha ha.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts

Why does your photobucket only have the option for image thumb? Something doesn't seem right. Maybe that's why it fights you to post a picture.

·
Registered
851 Posts

Why does your photobucket only have the option for image thumb? Something doesn't seem right. Maybe that's why it fights you to post a picture.
I really don't know? The trouble I have is quite frustrating to say the least.

But I want to thank you for the helping hand posting the picture of my project. I'm further along now than when the picture was taken. It's more work adapting the Suzuki front end to the Honda chassis everything is different. I can't wait to get it back on the road, should be fun? The front fender is also a bunch of work I haveto made four new bracket (two per side) to get the 17" fender to have fair clearance and look right on the 18" CX tire. Note to readers I made up the front Comstar wheel from Honda parts hub was re-machined to accept the GSX-R 20mm axle and new bearing new internal and external spacers were made to center the Honda hub. The the gold color adaptors seen in the second photo were CNC machined to my design. These are the key elements to make the old and new blend seemlessly. I chose the Suzuki because it's radial braked and is a five bolt pattern the old Honda is also five bolt pattern so it was doable.

Cheers, 50gary

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
The forks, triples, axle, fender,(not pictured but stock GSX-R) rotors, and calipers are all 2007 GSX-R 750. Not pictured here the brake lines are Galfer "Superbike" S/S The wheel is a made up Comstar from various Honda parts. The hub is also Honda Comstar but not from a CX bike, it has extensive machining done to accept much larger wheel bearings to accomodate the 20mm Suzuki axle. I also had to make four new fender brackets (two per side) to raise the fender about 2" because the difference in tire sizes low profile 120/70/17" vs the CX 100/90/18" but it now fits and looks great (factory). The calipers are called "radial" FYI I also used a Nissin radial master cylinder. Tire is a Conti GO! by Continetal 100/90/18"

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
993 Posts
Looks nice!

One of the SOHC/4 forum members went that route and used the mounting parts from the GSXR and then drilled out the rivets for the fender mount and then picked up a chrome 19" front fender from either a Harley aftermarket or did he go Honda 400. I think he originally started with a Harley chromed fender and then switched to a Honda 400 fender because he liked the front lip treatment and shape of that fender.

Then he obtained some domed aluminum or stainless rivets and reassembled the pieces/parts.

How did you handle the triple trees being flat across instead of being Honda like?

Did you move the tank back or modify the triple trees?

David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts