1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Picked up this 83' Cx650 parts bike off Crud-list (craigslist).. $150.oo. Been sitting for years. I want the complete front end to swap on my X Chicago police trike (82' Cx500 Custom). The trike has one front stopper and golf cart rear brake drums. Stops fine in..parking lot... but, on the freeway... stopping is a time consuming adventure. I even knocked out the bearing cups. Next.. rebuild the forks.. seals.. calipers, replace the pads and find a new master cylinder. So in the spring I hope it's a simple bolt on swap. (Insert laugh track here).... The rest of the bike has a new owner.

Reactions: kawazywingr

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Car Vehicle Plant Hood Automotive tire
Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light
Today I helped Randall pull engine and load the Gl650... :)

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
Hey, who's that old guy messing with my truck? Oh, never mind. 😕
Now, what to do with an extra 650 engine? 🤔
I know! Finish the kid's CB100 and the '79 Custom I have on the bench. This one's going into storage and the parts stash.
Thanks again, Mike.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
I know! Finish the kid's CB100 and the '79 Custom I have on the bench. This one's going into storage and the parts stash.
Thanks again, Mike.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
716 Posts
Thanks again, Mike.
R It is all my fault-I sent parts bike info to Mike Paul

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
That's OK. I didn't have any spares to back my GL650.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Today blew the calipers apart.... one piston was reluctant to pop out of the bore. Next vapor blast..ultra sound....rattle can paint..... rebuild caliper kits-pads. Pistons and bore in good shape.. no rust... the caliper slides where both stuck.. a common problem. When I assemble them I use lots of brake lube... this not only helps the caliper to move but helps keep condensation out... which causes stuck slides. I see this same problem on my Xs650 units. The rotors and wheel are get'n attention soon. :cool:

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
sounds like you've been down this road before... that caliper looks a mess, LOL. Thanks for the pics & update.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On calipers with two pistons.... I keep the right and left in separate baggies... on each I center punch a " dot " on the inside of one piston and it's caliper bore hole... I do this with each caliper so I know the same piston will go back in the same bore hole.. I don't know if this is really needed.. but that's the way I do it.... also.. with the brake rotors.. again I use a center punch and " dot " the rotor and wheel to insure the rotor is mounted as it left the factory.
Over the years I've only had one piston not come out.. wouldn't even move. On 73' Tx650 Yamaha. So.. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the piston... quarter-20 tapped it... and ran a bolt down, driving the piston out.... it was pretty.. but the piston did come out. All of the components today will be vapor blasted.... ultra sound cleaned... then painted..assembled. I'll use braided steel lines.. but I'm not sure if the Gl650 hoses, lengths, will work on the 82' CX500C..... so I won't have them made until I have everything mounted on the trike project. I'm also hope'n that the front fender on the Cx500 C will fit the 82' Gl650 S/Wing forks .... the Cx fender is painted to match the bike... Another item I noticed... the Gl650 wheel, with rotors, is very heavy ! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,410 Posts
that caliper looks a mess, LOL.
You should see what they looked like after a winter or 2 on Eccles before I learned to put silicone grease in the grooves before I put the rings in.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.