Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a chance to pick up a 89 Ninja 600 for cheap. I was wondering if anybody know if i can swap the front end of the Ninja to my 79 CX500 D. this would included forks, triple tree and clip on..

thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Sounds highly possible. Might just be a difference in bearings. The All Balls website has a list of specs for ordering bearings. Just a matter of getting the right od and id.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Cx500 ID OD Depth

Top 26 48 14

Bottom 30 52 16

Kawasaki Ninja ex500

Top 30 48 14

Bottom 30 52 17

Looks like if you get a set of kawasaki bearings you can just put them in the cx.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Nope.

First you have to get all the right info because from what i'm seeing kawasaki didn't make a 600 ninja that year but they did make a ex500 ninja and its numbers are 22-1014.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I hope it would also include:

Master cylinder, brakes, lines, and calipers with brackets

The front wheel would be cool too, just in case. Ask me how I know

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check stem length as well. You may be better off to swap the original stem from your CX to your new 600 lower triple provided to diameter of the CX stem matches the bore size on the lower. This is how is did my fork swap with my KDX forks.

Peace

Owen

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
sinjinle, can't offer any insight here, but would ask that if it's possible for you to post your experience when you do the swap. Specific parts/problem in the write up are big pluses.

Front end, wheel, brake and fork tube swapping is a very popular topic around here, inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope it would also include:

Master cylinder, brakes, lines, and calipers with brackets

The front wheel would be cool too, just in case. Ask me how I know

I am going to go look at tomorrow. Going to try to get him to sell me the whole front end. including the above mention and the tire and rim too. $100 seem like a fair price. NO?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i bought the whole set up for $75. its from a 89 ninja 600 i was told. hope it will work on my CX500. I'll lets Larry deal with it. hahaha

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
should i go back and pick up the rear wheel, tire and swing arm..maybe the rear set also..i think i can get it for cheap!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You have enough to keep your hands full with the front end swap. You don't need the other stuff. If you wanna blow some money, buy your bearings, new fork seals, dust caps, master cyl rebuild kit, brake fluid, pads....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have enough to keep your hands full with the front end swap. You don't need the other stuff. If you wanna blow some money, buy your bearings, new fork seals, dust caps, master cyl rebuild kit, brake fluid, pads....
TRUE

·
Registered
85 Posts
should i go back and pick up the rear wheel, tire and swing arm..maybe the rear set also..i think i can get it for cheap!

Nah this stuff is not usable for your CX and isn't high for resale value. Take NateDawg's advice, focus on one step at a time.

Good score on the front end stuff.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Excellent deal! I think you will be very happy with how easy everything will line up. Next question, , , are you going to try and keep the Comstar front wheel? This is where I went wrong on my first front end swap attempt. The Comstar wasn't playing nice with the new set up.

Depending on what you are building, that may or may not matter. I'm keeping my F2 front end for my next project, more of a street fighter/ rat bike, but my cafe build needed to keep the Comstars.

What is your goal with this build?

Again, I think you got a great deal!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent deal! I think you will be very happy with how easy everything will line up. Next question, , , are you going to try and keep the Comstar front wheel? This is where I went wrong on my first front end swap attempt. The Comstar wasn't playing nice with the new set up.

Depending on what you are building, that may or may not matter. I'm keeping my F2 front end for my next project, more of a street fighter/ rat bike, but my cafe build needed to keep the Comstars.

What is your goal with this build?

Again, I think you got a great deal!

I like the look of this bike....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.