Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New '82 CX500C owner here. Got the bike for a good price, low mileage, and overall kept in good shape. I am also a new rider so I am not as experienced with the technical side of bikes.

Anyways, I ended up taking off the front brake assembly and cleaning the part of the calipers that I could get at then putting the pads back on, and mounting it back onto the front disk. Today I took it out for a ride and it still felt like there was more resistance pushing the bike around than when the brake was off of the wheel. I am guessing that the calipers are still sticking??

Finally, when I was wheeling it back into the garage there was some squeaking coming from the same spot. Would this be from the brake assembly (I am hoping) or could it be something with the bearings? The sound was not there when I had the brake assembly off.

Looking forward to enjoying riding!

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
A couple of possibilities; a) the caliper needs to be disassembled and the groove where the seal sits needs to be cleaned out. b) the return hole in the brake master cylinder is plugged and not allowing the pistons to retract.

Reactions: Mwings

·
Super Moderator
22,316 Posts
Couple more possibilities.

The sliding pins need cleaning and lubing.

The caliper cutout is not sitting in the sliding pin cutout properly and this is causing the brake to bind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts