Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my '81 deluxe wheels with a set from a 78 for a different stance. Every since I put the new ones on, I'm hearing an moderately loud buzz/hum from the front end somewhere. It definitely fluctuates with the RPM's, and doesn't make a sound at idle, even if I rev it. I looked in past posts for a solution and the only thing I could find was about the tach cable. I lubed the cable (silicone spray), still had noise, disconnected the tach and still had noise. I have brand new bearings in the wheels put in by a shop, and I'm not hitting the calipers at all. Anyone have an idea where it might be coming from?

On a side note, how free should the bearings be when they're pressed into the wheel? On the front wheel only, it was relativley difficult to spin the bearings with just my finger. The front wheel will spin now that it's mounted, but not quite as well as the rear wheel does. Is this going to cause additional wear on the spindle/axle going through? Or is there some sort of break in period? I got the bearings from allballs for the '78

Thanks in advance everyone. This place has been a huge help

-Drew

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sounds like a bum bearing. It may be shot, or not put in properly. Thats all i can think of. A humming and stiff wheel is generally an indicator of a gearing issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had a buzz coming from my front end after I dumped my bike once. Turned out to the speedometer itself. Some gears in it were grinding, eventually my speedo needle would go all over the place and the buzzing would get really loud. Then eventually the cable snapped, and the problem stopped lol.

Could very well be something with your front wheel, but gauges will make noise if there is an internal issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll look into all of this and report back any findings. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm guessing its the bearing since it's the only thing that changed over winter, unless the bike just sitting there hurt the cables somehow.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
It can also be the top of the plastic radiator guard. More than once I have seen those rattle. The cure is simple, in that all you have to do is cut two small pieces of cloth to go over the tabs that stick up into the metal part to keep the plastic from moving.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bearings should spin freely when rotated by hand. Your bearings might be bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here's the update-better late than never.

Rode the bike to the local shop, and it never made a sound on the way there. They drove it around, never heard any sounds from the front end. They did tell me I was running a little rich, was at least some nice feedback (just rejetted after putting on pod filters). Since they didn't hear anything and thought everything was ok, I started riding around. A couple miles into a ride, I hear a loud clinking sound from the front end. My speedo cable had come out. Quick popped that back in and tightened the nut, lo and behold the weird buzzing sound came back. Thanks for the recommendations on the tach cable, I wasn't smart enough to check the speedo cable right away. Felt pretty smart, but happy to have the bike going.

tldr; checked the tach cable and that was fine. Didn't check the speedo.....it was the speedo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts