Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a stretched cable, and broken adjuster arm on the clutch cover I have to change the cover.

I now have all of the parts and ready to go, but the manual says the exhaust system must be dropped. The bike has a side car attached and the bracket blocks removing the right exhaust collar. Is there any way to get to the front engine cover with out removing the exhaust? It looks like it can be done with the exhaust in place. I do not want to get it half way apart and find the engine cover will not come off. Removing the bracket is a major hassle. Also I have a new set of clutch plates from a 305/350 Honda, can these be interchanged with the CX500C

Thanks Ken

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Odd, if we're talking about the same clutch cover mine just comes off the right side with a handful of screws. Make sure not to lose the little mushroom button and to get it back in there correctly. Nothing really special here, it's all pretty much common sense to replace.

I doubt the clutch plates will interchange but looking up the part #s on any website with a Honda parts fiche will tell you if they're the same #s. No reason to mess with it unless it's worn out, if it is EMGO makes a replacement set for around $55 you can find on eBay or probably other places as well.

One note about the clutch plates - if you do end up taking them off keep them and the steels in exact order just as you would with the internal parts of an automotive engine. They have mated in to each other and should be put back exactly the same way as they were in there to begin with.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I didn't get it right the first time. The front engine cover with the clutch cover has to come off. Can the engine cover come off with the clutch cover still attached? Just undo the cable?

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts
Jack, errr, I mean Ken, if you are just talking about the clutch cover, that is separate from the entire front engine cover. There is no need to take the entire front cover off to replace the clutch cover. You should be able to access the actuator workings by just removing the smaller cover, as Stitch pointed out.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I think what Ken is asking is: Do you have to remove the exhaust to remove the front cover? The clutch cable holder is attached to the front cover, not the clutch cover plate. And I don't know the answer for sure, but I think you might have to just to have the cover clear the clutch basket.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I think what Ken is asking is: Do you have to remove the exhaust to remove the front cover? The clutch cable holder is attached to the front cover, not the clutch cover plate. And I don't know the answer for sure, but I think you might have to just to have the cover clear the clutch basket.

The answer is no. The cover should come right off just fine.

Even removing the front cover doesn't require pulling the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts
If Ken (sidecarjack) can post a picture of the area it would help.

If the the clutch actuator arm is broken, I don't think he needs to remove either the exhaust or the front cover. If the front engine case is damaged because of the broken actuator, then full front case cover would need replacing, since ( I THINK) that is integral. But just replacing the actuator arm should be able to be accomplished with just removing the clutch cover. The side car may be an impediment, but without seeing how its set up, can't say for sure. I know I didn't have to remove the exhaust to replace the gaskets on both my front cover and clutch cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are talking about the clutch cover, there is no need to remove the exhaust. 5 8mm bolts and a hit wit a soft hammer will do it. Be ready to catch some oil as a little will flow out once the cover is removed. I just took mine off this morning to replace my clutch spring.

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yr gasket is holding it...just do as the guys say, rubber mallet and tap it off....there are no clips, guides or locating pins...just the gasket is holding it after you remove the bolts...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ken,this thread has gone wayward

ideally you need a new front engine cover[forget about clutch covers]

depending on your exhast system,it might not need to come off.iv tried it both ways...

i have a 2-1 system.with hindsight,take the exhaust off,its soo much easier,price of 2 cheap exhaust gaskets.

it was really hard to get the cover off,with the exhaust in place.youl end up ruining the front cover gasket on refit.

off with the exhaust,clean the pump pick up sump,adjust the chain....its way quicker in the long run

my 10c

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Ok back to the front cover.

The exhaust can stay on but the radiator/engine hanger has to come off to get the cover past that one goofy bolt that holds the radiator on the clutch side.

Then remove the fan with a m14x1.5 bolt. But still do the chain adjust and inspect the orings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts