Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go to replace my front cam seal would it be easier to just remove the cover that the seal goes in and drive it out from the rear? If so I will order the gasket as well.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I'm not sure but I don't think you can get away with just removing and replacing due to pressure on the cam shaft but then again maybe that's taken up by the rear thickness of the cover.

I did mine over the summer and what I did was remove the cover, clean off all the gasket mess, used a light prybar to pull the seal, pressed in the new one, replace the gasket, and when fitting it back into the engine it's easier to turn the crank bolt while pressing in the cover so it moves back into the right position.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured that is would be easier to just pull the cover and pry it out that way. I went and ordered the seal and gasket today.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
To make things really easy - and of course if the gasket is not leaking - then just replace the seal..

If you find it difficult to get out - use a wood screw in the middle of the old seal and then pull out with some pliers..you may need to do this in a couple of places around the seal to get it out..

then clean up the inside of the seal mating surface on the cover - it will probably slowly leak some oil from here while you are doing it.

I did use some gasket sealer on the edge of the seal - then just pressed it home with the aid of the same size socket as the seal and a rubber mallet for some gentle persuasion...

hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts