Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi greetings from sunny scotland. I am looking for a bit of help with my front brake master cylinder. I have just fitted a refurb kit and now I cannot get fluid to come through.All the bits are definately in the right place. Am I missing something obvious?.Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hi greetings from sunny scotland. I am looking for a bit of help with my front brake master cylinder. I have just fitted a refurb kit and now I cannot get fluid to come through.All the bits are definately in the right place. Am I missing something obvious?.Thanks in anticipation.
warm welcome BP,from where its also sunny.

update your signiture line,include your bikes details,model year etc.and your warm location in scotland

that way everyone knows which bike we are talking about.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Welcome to the forum from REALLY HOT Canada lol.

Cant say for sure without knowing the bike and year, but the common problem is there is a very tiny hole in the M/C, and if it gets plugged up it wont let fluid into the piston area. The hole is smaller than a paper clip will fit in, so most use a torch cleaner or some other very tiny wire to make sure its clean (very tiny drill bit for circuit board use is what i use). If that seems to be clear check the brake line, as sometimes the inner lining seperates and crates a blockage. Also, I found sometimes you need to "prime" the M/C piston. Take the brake line off the M/C and squeeze the brake lever until you get fluid coming out, then put back the brake line. If you cant get anything out then its a sure sign the little hole is plugged.

Hope that helps, if not just let us know and we will try to help you resolve it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Welcome!

All good info .......just want to add.....I had to "prime" my MC by squeezing the lever, and before I let it go, I put my finger over the hole the hose goes on. I could feel a slight vacuum. After a few times of doing this I got fluid to flow and build psi when I pulled the lever.

Thinking back and reading the little hole was probably plugged and this is how I got it opened up.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the advice.My bike is a 1980 cx500 which has not been on the road since 1982 and I am giving it a bit of a custom job.I have fitted brand new stainless hoses which the fluid refuses to run down.With the MC of the bike and the piston,seals etc. removed fluid runs right through so there is no blockage.I will try pumping the lever with my finger over the hole where the hose goes to try and prime it. ps. I stay near St. Andrews in the kingdom of Fife.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.