Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is here and I can get my garage door open again now that the snow is gone... :)

Just doing the basics to get my '79 CX500 (standard) running before I do any major modifications. Rebuilt the front brake, carbs, now looking at the master cylinder for the front. It's in rough shape. Looking online, the basics to rebuild it would cost more than a new one.

I saw on eBay a cheap master cylinder... just wondered if anyone else here had any experience with it? Given the price, may be good, may be bad... but given how much rebuild kits are for the stock one, replacing it completely seems a better option.

eBay Link

$_12.JPG

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do you really want to trust your life with cheap Chinese junk? I put one the chinese made aftermarket brake levers on once and it snapped. Lucky it happened when I wasn't even braking, it just snapped off. A few dollars is not worth your life.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@Wankster - is your avatar Kev from Derek? :D

Brake wise, even a different aftermarket make/brand... like what Wankster listed.... something that's good but cheaper or same price as fixing what I have. $70CAD to buy parts to fix is vs a newer/better one, seems like a no brainer. Just, not sure which would be direct fits because just ordered a new brake line.

How about something like these? Nice but, also in that China grey area... I say grey area because lets face it, Honda is Japanese, but I'm sure half was manufactured in China. :D

This is also one of those cases where I never know how accurate eBay is... says CB1300, but says not compatible with the '79 CX500.

eBay Link

$_12.JPG

·
Registered
827 Posts
I restored my 81 master. 20,000 miles later, it still works.
I would like to see what the old looks like.
Does it still function ?
Or is it that you want something new for the effect,look ?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to get it out in the light and take a photo. Brake fluid sat in there since the previous owner stored it back in '89. Openened it up and rubber needs replaced, reservoir looks pretty rough as well. Line is all clogged up and rubber looks dried out. Haven't tested it yet because I don't want to pump all that crud into the rebuilt caliper.

Ordered a new line because it definitely needs replaced.

Master cylinder wise... Rebuild may last a long time, so might a new one... Just seems strange to spend the money fixing an old one for the price of a new one. Especially when the old one doesn't look that great aesthetically speaking, and read a few posts that made a passing mention that the original MC wasn't that good to begin with.

I don't know if that's true or not... But a more modern look and improved performance would be ideal.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mine works fine, but I hardly use brakes. Mostly, I use them to flash the brake light at traffic behind me.....It has the brake light switch too, so it's almost paid for itself right there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Forgot about brake light switches... hmm...

So, if looking aftermarket, what should I be looking for? Typically, if it says compatible with CX500, that's what I go for. But not always the case, or even accurate. As WANKSTER said, he grabbed one off a CB1300 and it was a direct swap. When I go online and look at CB1300 MC's, it usually doesn't list the CX500 as also being compatible with that part.

$70-80CAD for a rebuild kit (+ shipping), doesn't make sense to me for a part that costs about the same new.... and the new part will look new.

The Randakk's MC is a bit outta my budget though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh those are pricey.... especially with the exchange rate.

Looking at Randakk's site, and comparing the specs there... I think these may work. I have the single caliper so I think that's the 14mm. I need to pull my bike out, get some light on it again and figure how the brake light switch works/hooks up. Yup... I'm a noob... I just remember when I took the top of the resevoir off in the Fall, things were pretty bad inside, and when I refinished the caliper, the brake line was shot.

Specs of what I'm looking at online are

1.Fitment:
Please check the size before you purchase.
Universal Fits most Brand Motorcycle/Sport bike/Street bike/Scooter/Dirt Bike with 7/8"(22mm) Standard Handle Bar
2.Oil Reservoir:
(1)Material: CNC machined aluminum+ PMMA
(2)Volume: 21 cubic centimeter
(3)Height : 36mm
(4)Use with fluid based glycol chemistry DOT 3 or DOT 4.
3.Master Cylinder:
(1)Inside diameter: 14MM
(2)Tubing screw: 10MM*1.25
4.Levers:
(1)Made of Aluminium and Anodized
(2)Levers Adjustable

Note:Only suitable Hydraulic Brake and Cable Clutch bike, not fit for Hydraulic Clutch bike.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
@Wankster - is your avatar Kev from Derek? :D

Brake wise, even a different aftermarket make/brand... like what Wankster listed.... something that's good but cheaper or same price as fixing what I have. $70CAD to buy parts to fix is vs a newer/better one, seems like a no brainer. Just, not sure which would be direct fits because just ordered a new brake line.

How about something like these? Nice but, also in that China grey area... I say grey area because lets face it, Honda is Japanese, but I'm sure half was manufactured in China. :D

This is also one of those cases where I never know how accurate eBay is... says CB1300, but says not compatible with the '79 CX500.

eBay Link

View attachment 22456

These are seriously cheap junk and a waste of money..........these are your brakes that you are talking about and IF anything that you shouldn't cheap out on, this is it. The Nissin MC from randakks is a high quality MC that is worth the investment, Siriusconinc.com carries them as well and in CAD with shipping that isn't crazy expensive.........When you are doing 120kmh and you need to stop the last thing you want is to wonder if your brakes are going to hold up or crap out on you

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hell, just get a good used MC from any newer CBR on Ebay if you like that look.........it may be used but its good quality that you only need to bleed the fluid out of and add new

·
Registered
853 Posts
I swap out my front masters with the 2007 and up..CBR600RR/CBR1000RR master for all my bikes...it is superb!!! It is a radial design and fully adjustable so in wet or loose gravel conditions you can adjust the pull on the lever to reduce the serverity of the braking. They are now sort of pricey but IF you can find one under $100 or close to it, buy it, you will not be disappointed IMHO.
The price you will pay for rebuild kits plus a used master will come close to this CBR master.....plus I have never had to rebuild one yet, they are in excellent condition and top quality. They are a direct bolt on with maybe a connection swap for the brake light switch, which is simply changing the connectors.....a simple job .
I agree with do not buy chinese crap when it comes to internal engine parts and also brakes.....you need both....just saying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts