Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i am looking to replace my front brake line. there is nothing wrong with mine as of now, but i suspect that it may be 30 years old. the braking action isnt quite what i would like, and i suspect that it is the line expanding rather than putting the force to the brake caliper.

any suggestions on what to use?

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok, i am looking to replace my front brake line. there is nothing wrong with mine as of now, but i suspect that it may be 30 years old. the braking action isnt quite what i would like, and i suspect that it is the line expanding rather than putting the force to the brake caliper.

I have just rebuild the whole from brake system on my twin disk system, after 31yrs, the master cylinder was shot, brake lines like your buggered, calipers fulla gunge...comes from not bleeing brakes on a regular bases so water collected and brake fluid starts to turn to sludge and oxidizes the alu. I would if your replacing lines, clean it all....worth it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
JDA will give you aircraft quality materials with teflon over/under finely braided stainless, eBay will give you mixed results.

Don't scrimp $5 by not going with JDA.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Since we all are entitled to our own opinions I'll say that personally I hate my new SS brake line that I got from JDA....just don't like the feel of it at all. We have varied opinions on the SS lines from different members of this forum.....some like them, some don't, I'm on the don't side....just thought you should see BOTH opinions on them, not just the positive ones.

Since the SS does not expand like the rubber it tends to give you a very hard feel to the brake lever...not my cup of tea.

However it wasn't a TOTAL waste of money......I do carry it in my sissy bar bag as a "spare"just in case my stock rubber line ever gives me a problem on the road......and if that EVER does happen, sure I'll use the SS one, but only until a new rubber one arrives in the mail.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Short distance from the MC to the caliper thus no room to give, it's all a personal feeling I guess. Having the old original MC on now it'll just take some getting used to and what with the new pads I may find that I've overdone it. The original rubber lines helped to absorb a bit of the feedback from the pads to the lever so I'll see, but I'll bet I'll learn the new system in no time.

When I changed my '98 GTP Pace Car over to SS lines, the LS-1 Camaro brake calipers and the rotors over to the 12" ones it took some adapting but I got used to it. Stock MC wasn't meant to drive the dual calipers from an LS-1 so I had a little less volume going out which meant a bit more pedal travel but it sure was nice to be able to stop at the first turnaround instead of the second if you ran the 1/4 mile. Best time I ever got was 12.97

·
Registered
58 Posts

I just finished an overhaul of the front brake system on a newly acquired '81 GL500 Interstate. The entire brake system was trashed due to total lack of regular maintenance. I'm amazed how this vital system is so often ignored by owners as well as dealers. Anyway, I was able to get OEM rebuild kits for the MC and calipers but no stock lines were available from Honda. Actually, the original lines didn't look too bad on the outside but the insides were another story - almost no flow. Couldn't get DOT-3 down to the calipers even with the Mity-Vac! Got the recommendation for JDA Enterprises from this forum. Called Craig. Excellent product and service and the price was better than Goodridge, Galfer or Speigler. Installation was a breeze and along with a new set of EBC pads, the braking performance is exceptional. If you are used to the mushy feel of the stock system, you will have to lighten your grip a bit. Just get used to it and you will be rewarded with vastly improved safety and handling!

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
+1 on JDA (link) I think he has almost all the templates for our bikes at hand, and the service is superb. Very reasonable cost for excellent quality.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
+1 on JDA (link) I think he has almost all the templates for our bikes at hand, and the service is superb. Very reasonable cost for excellent quality.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Sorry, the board is acting up....here is the link

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
My apologies....when I first posted I didn't even see any other posts here. The board has been funky today.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I already have the M/C apart, and it is cleaned and getting chromed. it isnt a stock MC, so idk where i'll ever get a rebuild kit. but luckily it is still in great internal shape. I'm switching over to DOT5 brake fluid because it doesnt absorb moisture, doesnt eat paint or other finishes, and it has a 500F boiling point. the caliper has been disassembled and cleaned (there was a LOT of sludge in there!)

So, all that is left is the brake line.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I tend to like the feeling of SS lines, they offer much better stopping on a dirt bike, so i imagine the same applies for the streetbike.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Since we all are entitled to our own opinions I'll say that personally I hate my new SS brake line that I got from JDA....just don't like the feel of it at all. We have varied opinions on the SS lines from different members of this forum.....some like them, some don't, I'm on the don't side....just thought you should see BOTH opinions on them, not just the positive ones.

Since the SS does not expand like the rubber it tends to give you a very hard feel to the brake lever...not my cup of tea.

However it wasn't a TOTAL waste of money......I do carry it in my sissy bar bag as a "spare"just in case my stock rubber line ever gives me a problem on the road......and if that EVER does happen, sure I'll use the SS one, but only until a new rubber one arrives in the mail.

Rick,

Do you have a dual pot caliper on that bike. I think that's what the 82 came with stock.

Are you also using that USA Motorcycles MC. I believe they are 14 mm which I think is a hair bigger than stock for the single caliper cx.

Also I suppose this would shut up some debate on using an undersized MC. Since there is no flex in the line one size smaller should do just as good compared to rubber lines.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Nightbiker, I am pretty sure that DOT 5.1 is the fluid you want. Marshall has commented on this extensively. I'm not completely sure I recall why, but I do know he has mentioned it many times.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Just replaced the lines on my 81 Custom with SS, its much improved my braking which is much sharper and efficient. Also as I'd raised my bars a little, the company sent me longer lines at no exra cost. Sound job!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Nightbiker, I am pretty sure that DOT 5.1 is the fluid you want. Marshall has commented on this extensively. I'm not completely sure I recall why, but I do know he has mentioned it many times.

Absolutely correct. DOT-5 is a silicone fluid which was developed for the military but ended up causing more problems than it solved thus even they've discontinued the use of it. Totally non-miscible with water, the moisture that collected would settle down at the calipers then when subjected to heat it would boil = extreme brake fade. Dot-5.1 is still glycol based thus the condensate is dispersed in the fluid and this doesn't happen. Don't expect your normal auto parts store to stock it, you'll likely need to go a a motorcycle place to find it. It isn't cheap by any means but what the heck, you only need a small bottle. I'd expect it to become the standard on all vehicles in a while.

Nobody has a clue why they didn't name it DOT-6 or something less confusing.

DOT 5.1 is totally mixable with Dot 3 or 4 but a complete changeout is recommended to get the full benefits. The far lower viscosity means a far quicker apply and release on your brakes and it's much easier to bleed than the normal stuff however as with any brake fluid on a bike I'd recommend a complete bleed every couple of years. It theory this would last longer than 3 or 4 due to the much higher boiling point but your brakes are your life. I wasn't there at the time but Old Okie was even surprised at how easily it was to bleed this compared to the old stuff and I'm quite sure it will be of great benefit for those that have an original MC with that tiny bleed hole. I don't know about you, but when I apply a brake lever I expect the pads to move ASAP, same on the release. There's a reason the motorcycle manufacturers are now specifying this and most any of the newest bikes/ATV's etc use it thus why it's on the shelves.

One of many links: http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/fluid.shtml

The above however is not recommended for street use, it's a DOT 3 fluid that they expect racers to change after every race but it has some good info as to the boiling points. If you dig around you'll find that the viscosity of 5.1 is about half or 3 or 4, less compressible and top of the line technology. It will be in my car the next time I mess about with it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hi Just replaced the lines on my 81 Custom with SS, its much improved my braking which is much sharper and efficient. Also as I'd raised my bars a little, the company sent me longer lines at no exra cost. Sound job!

If JDA doesn't have your stock configuration already in their database they'll be glad to make up anything to whatever length and type of fittings you want. Service is second to none. He didn't have the exact template for my '79 Custom but he has now, if I recall it was 53" with a 45° and a straight but he may also want to see some pix as far as orientation for the upper fitting so there won't be any twists involved. My thanks again for the help one of our members provided who provided pix on this, what I received went right on there.

He includes all the new crush washers and as I've mentioned this is aircraft quality stuff. What I've seen on eBay is often little more than a rubber hose with braiding around it and a heat shrink covering, what I got from Craig was thick, solid teflon with the braided part so fine you had to look closely to see that it wasn't just solid metal. A bit stiffer than normal rubber but with an exact fit it doesn't matter. By nature real teflon is tougher than nails so I seriously doubt that repeated flexing is ever going to bother it from either visible or functional means.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.