Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I’ve read through all of the forums on the front brake light. I’ve got 12v at the switch. The brake lights activate when the foot pedal is applied. The bulb filaments are good. The running light is working normal. I get 12v in the bulb socket when the foot pedal is applied, do not get 12v when the front brake is applied. I did take apart the wire pig tail under the handle bars, the one that’s tied to the ignition switch, to hot wire the bike when I first started working on the bike. The plug was not in great condition. I’ve look at the wiring schematic and believe the wire goes into there. Any tips would be great. When is it time to run a new wire?

·
Super Moderator
5,891 Posts
Did you mean Rear Brake Light?

Are you getting 12 volts at both terminals of the brake switch with the front brake applied;i.e is the brake switch functioning properly?

Have you checked for 12 volts on the green/yellow wire at the connection block (plug)?

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you mean Rear Brake Light?

Are you getting 12 volts at both terminals of the brake switch with the front brake applied;i.e is the brake switch functioning properly?

Have you checked for 12 volts on the green/yellow wire at the connection block (plug)?
Yes I meant rear brake light. Was referring to the front brake lever. I disconnected the wires from the brake switch. I’m getting 12v on one wire. 0v on the other. I connected both wires and am not getting a light. My brake light switch broke and I put new ones on. But I should get a brake light when I connect the terminals.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I’ve read through all of the forums on the front brake light. I’ve got 12v at the switch. The brake lights activate when the foot pedal is applied. The bulb filaments are good. The running light is working normal. I get 12v in the bulb socket when the foot pedal is applied, do not get 12v when the front brake is applied. I did take apart the wire pig tail under the handle bars, the one that’s tied to the ignition switch, to hot wire the bike when I first started working on the bike. The plug was not in great condition. I’ve look at the wiring schematic and believe the wire goes into there. Any tips would be great. When is it time to run a new wire?
Some times you Just gotta sit back and think. And I learned how to trace back wires to find where I’m loosing voltage.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I think you found the problem! (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts