Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All

Some time soon I will be giving my front brakes an overhaul (cylinder replacement, new res bowl, cap, O-ring, etc) this was prompted by a slight leak coming from under the brake fluid reservoir cup, which subsquently dropped onto my cylinder head and strip the silver paint off, arrgh!!! (can you use standard paint for the head or do you have to use high temp paint?).

In the interim I have been trying to fix this leak, but can someone tell me how you are supposed to get the bowl off. It will spin around and around quite happily and I can lever it up slightly but it will not leave go of the housing.

It does however (touch wood) look like I have managed to fix the leak for now, I'll find out later when I go down to the garage at work. I just cleaned everything up and put a bit of sealant on the base, then turned it back in place.

I'm guessing the reason for the leak is the O-ring beneath the bowl. If I can ever get to see it.

Cheers

Curt
Curt,

Keep prying the reservoir away from the MC base and it will pop off. Depending upon the condition of the O-ring, you may be able to reuse it but you must carefully inspect and clean the ports (one large and one tiny) in the bottom of the MC bowl. In most cases, the tiny fluid return vent hole will be clogged. I snipped off a steel bristle from a wire brush to open it up. Also, clean out the groove where the O-ring fits and apply a bit of silicone grease to it to ease reinsertion. This worked well for me. I had to replace the O-ring. It was available from Honda for about $5.00.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I guess it's not meant to spin around then? It was still tight, hence not be able to get it out.

I spun it around so the metal of the housing was exposed and coated the metal and the under side of the bowl with Hylomar. Turned it back straight trying to lift it at the same time to try and avoid scraping all the sealant off again.

Putting sealant around the base, just doesn't work. The brake fluid just goes right through it.

I've just been down to garage to see the bike and it doesn't seem to be leaking at the bottom of bowl (yet) but it's weeping slightly from the cap. If it can just hold on for another couple of weeks (pay day) that will be great.

Yeah I wasn't happy, it stripped the paint of my cylinder head cover. No one answered that question, normal paint of HT required for the cover?

Cheers

Curt
I think it will be a little like patching a tire from the outside ... it will eventually leak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.