Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how the front brakes fail? I have read several times about the brake locking up. Mine is beginning to do this as well. I rebuilt both ends of the system. The master cylinder has two holes going down? I saw a second small hole but it was ringed with a rust stain. People should know to change brake fluid every several years but we all know they don't. Anyway, is there a ball check in that little hole and perhaps the ball rusts in place? Is that second hole to relieve pressure from a hot caliper? Are my brakes locking up because the pressure builds with nowhere to go?

Any insight would be helpful.

Capt Frank

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Yes, there is a tiny hole in the master cylinder that lets the pressure from the caliper bleed back into the master cylinder. I have seen several posts that tell us to carefully clean that relief hole. I have not seen it but I am told it is there. On your bike it is probably that rusty spot. The only trouble I have had with disc brakes is dirty pistons not returning into the caliper and causing the brakes to drag or lock up.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
There is a very tiny hole in the MC, which was plugged on my bike when I got it. Tried everything to clean it but no luck. Finally tried a very small PC board drill bit (big mistake) as it did clean the hole, then broke off in the hole :-( I couldnt get it out and had to drill another small hole next to it, then all worked well. This pressure relief hole will plug up if the brake fluid is old and the moisture it sucks up causes the rusting. If you can clean the hole out it should solve the problem.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Can anyone tell me how the front brakes fail? I have read several times about the brake locking up. Mine is beginning to do this as well. I rebuilt both ends of the system. The master cylinder has two holes going down? I saw a second small hole but it was ringed with a rust stain. People should know to change brake fluid every several years but we all know they don't. Anyway, is there a ball check in that little hole and perhaps the ball rusts in place? Is that second hole to relieve pressure from a hot caliper? Are my brakes locking up because the pressure builds with nowhere to go?

Any insight would be helpful.

Capt Frank

I just went through this on my bike. Both the master cylinder and caliper were all gumed up. I took them all apart and had at it. If you would like more help let me know. It's do able.

·
Registered
640 Posts
An '82 CX500 that I used to own had a sticking caliper situation. After going through everything and cleaning everything, the solution was new caliper piston seals. Apparently the old rubber seals were no longer pliable enough to pull back the pistons when I let off the brake lever. The new seals instantly made the brakes work plus the feel of the lever while braking was immensely improved.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everybody for the imput. Gonna try them all!

Finally got a deep trunk for my GL tonight on Ebay...Yea

Thanks to HDsmokinburnout or something like that...

Capt. Frank

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here`s a couple of images of the bottom of a typical CX MC showing where the holes are;

I'm REALLY glad I found this forum.....

Please, can someone tell me, in that picture is the hole being indicated at a slant or is it supposed to go straight through? I cannot get this dang brake bled and I think this is where my problem is. On my MC, one of the holes goes straight through but the other one....not so much. It's like the factory never drilled it out all the way. It's just solid aluminum straight down....no indication from the inside that there's anything but just the one hole from inside the master....

I'm stumped

EDIT: NM, figured it out. tiny hole within the bigger not so bored out hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.