Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a question on the front brake as far as making the brake light work. The back brake works the light fine but the front one didn't work at all. I cleaned the connections at the handle bar and now the brake light works sometimes. Any other place to check or clean those connections more?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hi all, I have a question on the front brake as far as making the brake light work. The back brake works the light fine but the front one didn't work at all. I cleaned the connections at the handle bar and now the brake light works sometimes. Any other place to check or clean those connections more?

Could be the switch itself. It is possible to take the switch apart and clean the innards. It attaches with a screw, and you can disassemble it. Be careful of all the little parts inside. It could also be the connector, possibly a broken wire inside the insulation causing an intermittent operation. Mine was the switch, which has been working well since I cleaned it up inside.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I removed mine,original item, when you open it, with age the contacts wear away and you sit with this problem. Very simple design but also, if you damage the two clip at the back then you will also have a problem as the switch no longer sits far enough into the housing....but most probally your contact plates are worn away.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The switch is a cheap part and easy to replace and I'd feel safer with a new one than trying to resurrect an old switch. Try TAS first as if you mention you read about them on this forum you'll get free shipping and possibly a discount as well. You have to call them though: 260-563-6937

Alternately they show up on eBay brand new pretty often but I hate to pay $6 shipping for a tiny $6 part.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I look at ebay and TAS to check out a mew switch. I like to do things just once if possible and a new part sometimes is the way to go. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts