Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to the 20k mile maint on my front brakes and all I can say is I'm a one lucky sob...

Master Cyl lid screws were stripped, One piston was stuck, seals blown out on both, and fluid (what was left) that looked like fruit juice. The pads were in amazingly good shape with at least another two or three stops in them... I was going to rebuild it, but the pistons were badly scored, the pivot bushing and it's seals were shot as well.

I was able to get a Caliper from an 82 700sc which uses 32mm pistons instead of the 30s. Same pivot, same mount... gotta love the UJM, sometimes...

I put on some Premier racing pads and after some wear in (I think the pad area is slightly larger?) It seems to be working purty darn good as I was able to smoothly lock the front with a Gorilla grab
. Kinda surprised me, and thankgawd the new 28 year old caliper let go... at least the bike stops now without the front brake feeling dead(ly). Now to replace me some fork seals and get some oil in the tubes as she dives almost all 5 inches upon heavy braking.

Has anyone
done this without going to another disc? I'm right at the edge (not over but maybe within 1/32) I'm nervous about these Premier Kevlar Pads getting chewed and possibly locking. Brakes are not my speciality so any input is much appreciated.

ThX-Jeff

·
Registered
851 Posts
PM me if you need some front end stuff. I just removed the entire front end from my 78. 400 mile old brake line SS.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to add to this so no one gets in the kind of trouble I get myself into....

My setup currently using ONE dual piston caliper from one side of a 700sc (i think). It is the typical DUAL caliper set up from the early 80s honda. 14mm MC. etc... Fit the CX like a champ. Here's the FUN part...

The Dual Caliper Setup uses a thinner rotor and thicker pads... I cannot remember the exact mm for service limits etc, but they ARE different. I initially used the stock CX rotor with a set of "used" racing pads as new pads would just not clear the rotor. Same Exact Pad profile as the CX... just thicker. Just not happy with a "jackleg" set up (even though the brake works great). Subsequently, I'm (trying to) switching the rotor to one that actually is the correct combo. It has a larger face contact area, Duh! and it looks like the "dish" is the same. I'll post the results & pics as I get to it. I'm going to a dual caliper, dual rotor front end soon with all rebuilt or new parts that are matched. Bike is De comish until later today when I can wrench it.

Just did not want anyone to follow me down this (probably unsafe) path without being aware of those slight but BIG differences. Thanks to all the previous posters RE: Front Ends and Brakes in other threads. I'd be sunk without this forum.

Ciao! off to the Cupboards.
J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts