Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im having trouble retightening the screw at the bottom of my forks. I just changed my fork oil and fork oil seals. when reassembling everything the right drain bolt tightened up easily but the left one screws in gets tension and then continues to spin. I disassembled everything to see if the internal threads were stripped and they aren't. im really confused as to how this system creates the pressure to actually get tight. please help. I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
That allen head screw screws into the internal part of the fork.
The copper washer is to prevent leaks. Put some pressure on the fork innards,
pushing down until you can start the screw. I think the screw is not catching the threads.
There are no threads in the fork lower itself. Take a look at the service manual or look it up on the wiki
to see what I am telling you.

·
Super Moderator
21,607 Posts
I shove a half inch dowell a couple of feet or so long in the frork from the top end to put pressure on the damper rod to prevent it spinning when I retighten the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork. This works well. Turn the fork upside down, jam the dowel into the floor, lean your weight on the fork leg and tighten the bolt.

Alternatively you can install the springs and cap temporarily to achieve the same end.

The damper rod needs to be placed under pressure or it will just spin with the allen bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ile try the dowell idea. because i attempted to do it with the spring and top cap on but the darn thing just keeps on spinning around. thanks for the tips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts