Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks, I'm ready for some help on this one. Here are the details as I have them.

Monday at about 7:30 AM I hit a pothole on the way to work. A DEEP pothole. I hit it hard. It shoved the right fork tube up 1/2" in the triple tree, knocked both mirrors loose, back tire came up and hit the license plate folding it into the fender. Immediately afterward, the bike had one cylinder cut out. I limped it to work on just the 1 cylinder remaining.

Monday afternoon at about 4:00 PM I borrowed a set of allen wrenches and readjusted the fork tube. I fired the bike up to check the cylinder cutting out and it wasn't. Bike was running on both cylinders. I let it run for about 5 minutes. No issues.

Monday afternoon at about 5:00 PM I left for home. It started cutting out again about halfway home and was occasional and intermittant.

Tuesday after work, I went over the bike front to back to check for damage, loose parts etc. I did not fire the bike up. I disassembled the forks to make sure no internal damage. I zip-tied the instrument cluster together as the plastic mounting tabs for the screws had all snapped. The rest of the bike appeared fine.

Wednesday morning at about 7:20 AM I leave for work. I make it 3/4 of the way to work before the bike develops the miss again. One cylnder cuts in and out intermittantly. Idling at a red light, it went to one cylinder. I revved it up to compensate. The light turned green and halfway through my turn, the cylinder kicked back in and the bike took off (I had the throttle revved real high to get moving on 1 cylinder). It then continued to cut out intermittantly.

Does anyone have any ideas why my bike would be cutting out intermittantly due to hard impact?

My original guess was that a float was stuck, but I don't believe they do that intermittantly. It acts exactly like it did when I had a bad petcock. The vacuum portion of my petcock has been bypassed however.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It sounds like it could also be electrical. I would lift the tank out of the way and check the coil mounts and wiring, check all grounds, check or replace the main fuse, check the connectors to the TI modules, etc. Anything could have come loose if the pothole was that big, I hate those things.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Just a guess, but my bikes a ti too and last year I had intermittent power problems

I couldnt pin down

A while later I found the front engine hanger bolts had come loose and

assume this caused a bad ground because when I tightened it up again the

intermittent power drop went away.

To be honest I'm still not sure why this should affect it.

Is it possible the pothole impact jarred your front engine hangers

and grounding?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a guess, but my bikes a ti too and last year I had intermittent power problems

I couldnt pin down

A while later I found the front engine hanger bolts had come loose and

assume this caused a bad ground because when I tightened it up again the

intermittent power drop went away.

To be honest I'm still not sure why this should affect it.

Is it possible the pothole impact jarred your front engine hangers

and grounding?

It's quite possible. There was a lot of things jarred! I'll recheck those tonight after work, thanks!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
On the subject of potholes

theres a hill on a road coming back into bristol with

5 sunken manholes in a quarter of a mile

I wasnt tailgating that day but had I left a lot more

room to the car in front I could have seen and avoided the first

which got a

WTF ?! on the on first

just as I was settling myself I hit the second

Doh !

then the third

DOH !!

then the fourth

Oh FFS !

then the fifth

You F&%@@ bas&&&& !!!

I nearly spilt me tea !

now whenever I use that road I know where give myself room

to slalom and avoid doing 5 Homer simpson impressions

doh! doh! doh! doh! doh!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.