Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto part Footwear Leather Vehicle Shoe

My beautiful, been-in-a-basement-since-1979 Windjammer had a hole that needed to be filled. Specifically, the pre-cut blank in the lower left intended for an optional 12V receptacle. I found an accessory wire on the CX and spliced it into the 'jammer's red wire—easy. I was pleased to see the wiring inside the left pocket was complete with connectors.

More excuses to ride are always welcome, so I went out and picked up one of these: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...e-kit/56415/4529072?q=power+receptacle&pos=22

It's a perfect fit with a high-quality rubber cover that makes a great seal from the elements. Probably the easiest modification that, considering the vast array of 12V appliances available, will bring endless possibilities.

Cartoon Mode of transport Illustration Animated cartoon Art

Runners up to this are tightening up all the hardware to improve structure and reduce rattling over bumps. I also added a mounting system for the wiring harness. The harness would droop all the time and be unsightly. The Vetter carries enough of a stigma, so, to reclaim some appeal I secured it with 3 small screws through a set of original plastic handlebar cable ties (also pictured but in the blurry background). I replaced the originals with some soft velcro zip ties which are quite nice.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey @Boogiesox - I too have a Windjammer on my '78... I bought a little chrome cigarette lighter ($3) to fit that socket.. it looks smart but I've never actually tested to see if it works as I don't want to set the whole thing on fire! (And I quit smoking cigarettes years ago. )

Mine has the original little vinyl bag that carries all the wiring that would normally nest in the headlight shell.. I need to dig in there soon to replace the signal flasher, and get the new horn wired up. Are you using the Vetter horn?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, your 'jammer is in great nick. Yeah, I haven't had much interest myself in finding out if a lighter would work. There's an inline fuse in the wiring but I haven't checked the value.

I wish I had known about the wiring bag. I was thinking of rigging up a RadioShack project box to tidy up all the wiring back there. I'm using the original horn, so the fairing is basically a megaphone for it aimed squarely at me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My Windjammer SS windshield is forty years old and a spidery web of silver lines appears when the sun hits it right, almost obscuring the road.. not scratches, but hairline cracks within the acrylic.
So I dug around and found one dirt cheap on Amazon. I ordered one, and it looks like there's one left if anybody is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/Slipstreamer...+Replacement+Windshield+-+Clear++2in.+S-174-M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts