Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our area, it's "The Wall". I know to some service members The Wall is something different, someplace different. However this is the place where anyone who has died during the Middle East Conflicts has their name etched in and added to the wall. They won't stop putting names in until there are no more names to etch.

This dinky little Illinois town, located right on the Illinois River, probably grows to about 5 or 6 times its size on the Freedom Run weekend. It's a good and bad time. The people are great, conversations are good but when they get to the part where they are reading off the names of those who have died, it's hard not to have your heart ripped out right there..... I was interning with the Marseilles police department the year it was dedicated- and the feeling is always the same, and quite unexplainable.

If you've never been there- it might be a place to visit.

Middle East Conflicts Wall Memorial

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for the link. I remember hearing about the wall awhile back, but had forgotten.

Oh so that Rally in in just a few days?

Do you guys have any plans ?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the rally is just a few days away, and not sure if we're going or not. I'm still working 3a-7a on Saturdays so I know I'll be tired..... and I live here, I actually stop several times a year so to make it a point to show up when it's going to be packed makes no sense, or very little. If he wants to ride, that's fine. I usually take the cage up there, find a place to park, and stay only for the ceremony. This year though they're opening up a museum

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys...

I've been away from the boards for quite awhile - after I rewound my stator last summer - I've been riding all the time... but so busy at work and home that I haven't been by in awhile.

I will be at the freedom run rally if anyone else is interested in coming. It is this Saturday June 18th. Kickstands up at 10am. They have a pancake breakfast that runs from 6-10 I believe. Line-up starts at 6am.

I will be meeting at the Home Depot in Joliet, IL at 7am with some other friends from Chicagoland as well. We will meet there in the Home Depot parking lot, and leave from there. Probably hit up an iHop for some breakfast, then it's off to the rally. I think it's $10 to ride - all funds go to the wall.

Address for Home Depot:

3001 Plainfield Rd

Joliet, IL 60435

It's on the north side of Hwy 30, just southeast of I-55. Google puts it on the south side, but is wrong.

call or text if interested in joining us. I know it's late notice...

cell 630-297-7741

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, it should be wrapped up around 1 or so. Still time to make it to Mods Vs Rockers. Unfortunately I have to work at 3pm. Later.

Keep it between the ditches

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, it should be wrapped up around 1 or so. Still time to make it to Mods Vs Rockers. Unfortunately I have to work at 3pm. Later.

Keep it between the ditches

It's never ended that early..... even though people leave early.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah - not sure why my friend said 1pm. That's when the ceremony started. Very moving morning. Blew my mind to see all the family's represented on bikes, that had lost a loved one... not to mention the thousands of other riders there to support them.

I wish I could have seen a helicopter view of the actual ride. Bikes farther than you could see in both directions stagered for miles and miles. Pretty awesome experience.

Unfortunately the morning started on a very low note - we lost a rider in I-80 on his way in. Un-even lanes, they were resurfacing one lane at a time - he tried to change lanes to the newer/higher lane. He didn't make it, and one more in the hospital.

I was disapointed to see that I was one of maybe 20 people that were wearing their helmets. I realize it was hot. I had all my gear on. Still nothing compared to being in the desert of Iraq at 130 degrees with full uniform and gear as a marine though. Those guys are the heros.

Anyway - a rambling post I know.

Glad I went. Now I just need to go to a rally/ride with other CXer's. I couldn't even tell my bike was even running today - I had to watch the Tach just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't have your profile set up to reflect where you are- Joliet? I know you had said something about meeting up in Joliet.... The ride to the Wall started @ the Grundy County Fairgrounds. The year it was dedicated I was interning- and the task I was given was to drive the C.o.P. around in a gator, so I was at the front of the line for everything. The streets of Marseilles were so packed with bikes there was hardly enough room. I had to keep waiting for people to move in order to get the gator through.

It IS an experience. I cannot keep complete composure when the families are up there reading the names of those they have lost. I keep meaning to post pictures (of just about everything- I'm falling behind) so maybe I'll get to do that today. When I got off of work yesterday morning I went by and took a few pics... but the best is in the early fall when the mist is rising off of the water behind it. I meant to go home and go back to bed, but my dad needed some welding done and I wanted to put his Father's Day present together- the new gas grill he's been wanting. Working today but I wanted him to be able to use the grill for lunch or whatever...

Anyway, sorry to hear about the rider who went down- how bad was he hurt? -and I'm glad you got to experience this firsthand..... was it your first time?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyway, sorry to hear about the rider who went down- how bad was he hurt? -and I'm glad you got to experience this firsthand..... was it your first time?

I read- extensively.... was this the person you were talking about?- I found it while reading the Joliet Herald Newspaper just now... I might've misunderstood what you were saying before, I thought him being in the accident was the 'one in the hospital'....

TROY TOWNSHIP — A motorcyclist was killed in a one-vehicle crash Saturday morning on Interstate 80 near Houbolt Road, state police said.

Thomas M. Thiele, 38, of Matteson was westbound on I-80 and lost control of his motorcycle, the Will County coroner’s office said.

The motorcycle left the roadway and entered a ditch, the office said.

State police said the crash occurred around 8:30 a.m. Thiele was pronounced dead at an area hospital at 9:06 a.m., the coroner’s office said.

An autopsy was performed Saturday. The cause and manner of death will be determined pending the outcome of autopsy, police and other reports. Funeral home selection was pending on Saturday, the coroner’s office said.

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/6004838-417/motorcyclist-dies-after-i-80-crash.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.