Honda CX 500 Forum banner
161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
As far as the cable end goes when you are using a .22 shell, do you put the cable in the shell at a 90 degree angle?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Yeah just hit everything with carb cleaner, drilled a hole (I believe 3/32 bit fit my cable nicely) placed the shell on perpendicular to the cable then bent out all the individual strands of the cable inside the shell, that way they are mushroomed out in every direction inside the shell. Applied flux evenly inside shell/ on cable strands and filled with solder. Also Reused the original cable sheath cap (not sure what that’s called) by briefly heating it with a lighter and pulling it of with some pliers - reinstalled the same way.

Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a photo of the cable routing for the Mikuni carbs? I've read through all of the instal posts that I can find and only see it mentioned as "Feed cable down left side of bike and thru left fork tube" I'm trying to figure out how both left and right carb cables go around the engine hangers and if they go over or under the spine of the frame? Struggling with a bit of cable drag, definitely going to have to shorten it a bit but don't want to clip anything until I'm confident I have the routing correct.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Thats perfect, thanks PHREAK! I did click through the entire thingy build... you are dedicated, I think that's the word :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
As far as the cable end goes when you are using a .22 shell, do you put the cable in the shell at a 90 degree angle?
Forgot to mention I did shorten the shell with my dremel, I wanted the bottom of the casing flush with the bottom of the lever.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
fender and bracket painted and fit, still working on a tray to house the Rae San in this space. The RR sits in front of that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Not a ton of visual progress, got the new footpegs ground and the original mounts cut and they're functioning smoothly. Wiring is ALMOST complete - I do have to remove the radiator to route the oil pressure sensor wire, has anyone just run it around the outside of the fan shroud?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If I already mentioned it, sorry to repeat myself but I’m sure you won’t mind hearing it again. I really like the white frame! 👍🏻

Reactions: newt500

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
finally got the mini switch pushbuttons installed and wired through the bars (I know the bar clamp on the master cyl. is upside down) really happy with how these installed. after tapping the threads I drilled the exit hold for the wires, de burred the hole and sheathed the wires in some pretty tough fiber sheeting. I do wish I had run them through a rubber grommet to fully put my worrying mind at ease but I think we're in good shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looks nice, but you must have LONG thumbs to reach all those buttons...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Looks nice, but you must have LONG thumbs to reach all those buttons...
Haha I played around with stickers on my daily driver, in the position I wanted them and felt comfortable with these. The horn and turn signals are the same distance on my GS when you add the bulk of the controls casing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Seriously, it looks great, that's just the first thing that I thought of. But, I see your point, they are so low profile that helps to reach over them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Still have to shorten the clutch cable and make a housing for the water temp gauge but cockpit is looking good!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Still have to shorten the clutch cable and make a housing for the water temp gauge but cockpit is looking good!
View attachment 203043
I recently shortened my first clutch cable ever.
I used the advice I read where you use a .22 shell, drill a hole, fill with solder. It worked amazing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently shortened my first clutch cable ever.
I used the advice I read where you use a .22 shell, drill a hole, fill with solder. It worked amazing.
Just did mine as well. I suggest using muriatic acid as flux (don’t dip above the top of the new nub). Also I found the dip method using a copper cap and a propane torch to make a solder puddle to be very simple to execute

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Also I found the dip method using a copper cap and a propane torch to make a solder puddle to be very simple to execute
can you elaborate a little more?

·
Registered
36 Posts
can you elaborate a little more?
Get a copper pipe cap from the hardware store. Put it in a vice and fill with solder wire. Use a propane torch on the bottom of the cap to melt the solder into a pool. You can then dip the cable end directly into a pool of liquid solder instead of risking annealing the steel cable by trying to heat the cable end directly to melt the solder.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Cool, great idea! Thanks

161 - 180 of 216 Posts