Honda CX 500 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
What do you mean by balloon?
I read a post (looking for it now) about throwing a rubber balloon on the end of the breather tube so that excess oil would accumulate and no grit could get drawn back in since there is no longer an airbox to route the tube into.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Thanks, I must have missed that post. Have you considered using a small air filter on the end of the breather tube?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
CXPHREAK, thanks looks like all info I would need is in these threads.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Thoughts on adding a fitting to this coolant overflow bottle so that it has the needed two ports? Any tips on tapping an aluminum bottle? I was given the bottle and like the idea of making it work, the factory bottle was missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Also looking at ignition coil options - I have one failed coil and one original coil with large cracks etc. I scored a 1978 Deluxe tank at a yard sale for cheap and am considering Murrays coil overs and working the battery underneath the tank. I will have access to a Mosfet reg/rectifier so a li battery is an option. Haven't yet found a battery or thread of someone fitting one under the tank that seemed powerful enough but will keep searching

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
wrestled the motor in tonight - even after reading a post about not forgetting to install the driveshaft, yup I forgot the driveshaft! Dropped the motor and started over. Probably should've asked a friend to join me on this one but luckily no drops or scratches

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thoughts on adding a fitting to this coolant overflow bottle so that it has the needed two ports? Any tips on tapping an aluminum bottle? I was given the bottle and like the idea of making it work, the factory bottle was missing.
Usually a tank like that is thin walled tubing and you can't tap a thread in something that thin, a bung needs to be welded on to the tank and then the hole is drilled and tapped in the bung.

Bike looks great!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
A bolted in, gasketed fitting would work, same as you would add to a plastic tank.

Randall

·
Registered
497 Posts
Randall,

Maybe i misunderstood the OP question (happens all the time!) I was taking the question as trying to tap a hole in something that is probably .03 of an inch thick and screwing a fitting into it expecting it to work. Your idea of using gaskets and bolting a nut to the fitting on the inside sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Sorry, I missed his question. You read it right.

Randall

·
Registered
497 Posts
No worries, we are here to help each other out and i like your idea.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Looking at the bottle shown above, it already has the lower fitting for the hose from the radiator. It just lacks an overflow. Assuming it's vented, as it would need to be, the overflow line might not be needed.

Randall

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
I was putting the rear brake arm back on and the eyes don't line up with the mount on the swingarm and the drum panel at the same time, the bar is too long currently - does this mean I installed the drum at the wrong orientation? sort of dreading taking the rear end apart again... :( Could it be the Harley shocks are slightly taller?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Without the arm you're trying to install, the brake plate rotates freely around the axle. Just turn it until it fits. You might need to back off the actuator rod.

Randall

121 - 140 of 159 Posts