Honda CX 500 Forum banner
201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
made a little flat bar bracket for mounting the plate - probably not the final solution but anyone see issues with using the breather screw to mount it? I drilled out space wider than the shank of the screw but smaller than the flat head so that it can still "Breathe" and slightly counter sunk the head in flat bar so its really not much thicker than the original washer. If this is a big idiot move I will definitely come up with something else instead.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
getting there! i cut out all of my brackets and electronics tray and started over, i didnt like how everything was fitting, got the new brackets and seat tab welded, ground nuts etc, primed everything and chopped and welded the standard tank i picked up on craigslist. Picture is before I cleaned it up and rounded the corners etc. Still need to sand it down to bare metal and fix a few dings, is there any way that isnt just bondo filler to patch minor dings? could I tin it without burning through the tank - fairly unskilled here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·

Made some headway on the tank, doing away with the locked latch considering I can open it with a dime. I did one more filler and sanding layer post photos and two primer/sand/primer sand layers

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Like a dummy, i placed the mold I made slightly off-center (you can see in the 3rd photo) so I had to make a new mold and recenter, will post a photo when it and the gas cap dry. Every project on this project has been done at least twice to get it to a place where im happy but I came here to learn! Next dummy move, i just broke the tap in the steering stop...was following along here:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
It took 19 seconds to break the tap and 3 days to remove it - back on track with threaded m5 x .8 steering stop holes. will grind the head of the bolts to the minimum thickness of clearance needed for the tank. Still struggling to make an electronics tray that I'm happy with, bending sheet metal without a brake has proved interesting and not as consistently clean as I'd hoped.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
We're in 'merica, why you using them foreign taps... (he said tongue in cheek) :p Glad you got it repaired, what a bummer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
We're in 'merica, why you using them foreign taps... (he said tongue in cheek) :p Glad you got it repaired, what a bummer.
I have to own this one as I rushed it and after the headache of removal, lesson learned!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Tank is looking good, still have to paint the indents black or make some knee pads and 3 more coats of clear, Ive seen some forum members make some nice ones!

Finally figured out a good enough process for making the new electronics tray out of sheet metal with no welds and no brake.

1. Make a paper mockup, then a carboard mock up, then 6 more until its perfect
2. Use that as the template, I redrew mine on the computer to make it perfect then spray adhesive and mounted on some sheet metal.
Using clamps, clamp a piece of angle iron or scrap to use as a guide with your angle grinder, you can then score a perfect line and either fold on the score line or cut through. Deburr while sheet is still flat, use clamps, blocks of wood, whatever you need when bending, even with the scored lines you can still stuff up your piece.

Will post photos of the tray shortly.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Definitely post photos, looking good!

Reactions: newt500

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 · (Edited)
Not perfect but shell do the job, have to clean up a few spots with the grinder, sand and re-prime but over all very happy with it as it was made from some scrap sheet I had on hand. You can see in the 90 degree bend closest to the bottom that I didnt score deeply enough and got a rounded corner, I was nervous about scoring TOO much and under did it on that one, though it kind of works with the design

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not perfect but shell do the job, have to clean up a few spots with the grinder, sand and re-prime but over all very happy with it as it was made from some scrap sheet I had on hand. You can see in the 90 degree bend closest to the bottom that I didnt score deeply enough and got a rounded corner, I was nervous about scoring TOO much and under did it on that one, though it kind of works with the design

View attachment 209087
That looks pretty good, can't wait to see how it fits into the bike. Do you have pics of it "mocked" in the bike?
And how deep is that "well"? Just curious as to how far it protrudes beneath the frame.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
That looks pretty good, can't wait to see how it fits into the bike. Do you have pics of it "mocked" in the bike?
And how deep is that "well"? Just curious as to how far it protrudes beneath the frame.

Ill update once painted and installed, it protrudes beyond the bottom of the frame 1.25 inches - I really wanted it flush with the bottom bar but Ihave a Rae San Unit that i wanted to make sure stays good and dry + all electronics now live here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Here it is in the bike, still needs a coat of white and a few holes to mount things properly and clean up the harness.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Coming along nicely. I like your approach on the seat pan. However, he protusion below the frame is a bit more than I'd prefer as well.

Definitely nice to see a tray without all the ugly welds. Keep up the good work, it has shown me a couple of different ideas.

Reactions: newt500
201 - 216 of 216 Posts