Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I saw some threads either here or on the previous board about the thought of putting GL650 engine parts on a GL500 engine to use the manual tensioner, but I can't find it... anybody remember this?

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts
Are you sure you're asking what you want to be asked. The 650 has an automatic tensioner. If that's the case you want those guys down under. A few of them have fitted the automatic tensioners in their 500's. From what i understand you have to drill and tap the hole that the cam chain tensioner bolt goes in to in order to fit the automatic tensioner.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking since the 500 manual tensioner parts were more available, that it may be wiser to convert to the manual tensioner, plus you aren't depending on the automatic option, you can adjust it and know it is adjusted.

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts
All that's involved is a spring mounted piston inside. Not that high of a failure rate. But like all parts they can fail.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,212 Posts
There was some discussion of this, way back.

You'd need to drill out the rear cover for the adjusting bolt.

Plus, if the bolt hole on the 500 would need to be enlarged and threaded to mount the automatic tensioner, you'd need to use a threaded insert to reduce the hole on the 650 to mount the manual system.

Other than that, you'd need to compare the guides. Could the 500 guides be used in the 650? (That is the goal after all.) Or would the 650 guides need to be made to fit the manual tensioner? I don't have enough experience in the 650 case to provide those answers.

R

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
What about a 500 rear case on a 650 motor?

I don't know if the case depth is the same or not. I do know that the 650s have a different water pump impeller that is deeper and cannot fit in a 500 rear case.

I don't know if the cams are the same length either.

The CX500E and CX500T models came with an automatic tensioner, so you might want to compare part numbers to see what might be different on them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am planning to try this out when I get into my spare 650 motor soon.

(of course, I have not had much luck this last 18months getting to any of the "Soon" things I have planned, so have lots of salt ready. *grin*)

As to the water pump, the 650 impeller is taller by about 3/8" and the wp cover is deeper, I think the motor rear cover is the same though.

I'll try and remember to check that too.

As far as the auto tensioner, I am pretty sure they only break if you let the chain get loose and "beat on" the guides. if you change your cam chain every 40-45k miles you should be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts