Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found this on their bike. I was giving my 1980 a good clean and discovered rust on the frame tubing above the foot ped and a probe with a screw drive went strait through it.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Super Moderator
24,024 Posts
Unfortunately fairly common.

Easily welded up though. depending on how thinned the remaining metal is a patch of 3 mm steel may be required rather than just filling the hole with weld.

Being right near a large pressing with a long weld seam past the area means that the strength isn't compromised too much.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Might want to probe around the pressing...swingarm if not aready done.
(With a Wire/small pick.)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Classic i'm afriad. My CX frame and swingarm is riddled with holes from rust. Hope one day to strip to frame and replace metal. I've more projects before that happens though.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,970 Posts
There should be a little drain hole at the frame's lowest point (usually formed by a small bend in one of the pieces that are welded together there) but it is fairly common for those holes to become blocked by dirt/debris so that the water accumulates inside and eventually finds another way out like that.

Since I use my CX primarily in winter on salted roads this is a particular concern for me so I spray a creeping oil rust preventative into all of the openings of the frame annually to help prevent that from happening (I would recommend something similar to anyone who lives near an ocean too).

BTW: Please take a couple of minutes to complete your profile like I asked you to do when you joined the forum (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts