Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1981 CX500C

I've read some comments on water gathering around the rear of the frame and them rotting out. I've seen water fill up the gusseted area on mine. I haven't seen anyone posting about a fix for it though.

Has anyone located a good area for a drain hole so at least the water flows in and then back out instead of pooling? Looking at it, I'm not sure where the low point would be or if it's possible to drain all the water, not knowing what it's like behind those gussets.

At the very least, I've been thinking of filing up the area with WD40 to try and displace any moisture in there and then sealing the open area at the top.

Suggestions anyone?

Peter Haynes
Grand Bend, Ontario

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Seen loads of it and assumed we had the monopoly on it here in the UK! :D
the''gussets' around the engine hangers are the most liable to rot through as are the
rear footpeg hangers and the swinging arm.

They all rot from the inside out as well in my experience so fancy pants powdercoating
is just papering over the cracks if you dont treat the inside.

The top parts of the frame get surface rust but its rarely fatal
The gussets being thinner than the tube work go first
there are small holes on the very bottom seams, presumably to act as drains
which get clogged up so it wouldnt hurt to run a drill up there.
I drill 3mm hole in the rear facing sides of the gussets and rear footpegs so I can squirt in
WD40/ACF50 or any old antirustprene jollop etc every year using the thin applicator nozzles from the tins

I also flood my frames tubework with old engine oil after painting to try and give it some protection
and do similar when repairing swinging arrns cos they can rot for a pastime

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there's a whole bunch of places I haven't looked at yet. Gee, thanks.... :)

Adds frame rot to the "To Do" list...

·
Registered
775 Posts
the''gussets' around the engine hangers are the most liable to rot through as are the

<snip> ....

I have started to resurrect my site at
http://tinkrin.netau.net/index.html
I just checked out the link to your resurrection CX site. Looking forward to you digging out some more archival stuff for us newbies. Are we going to have to wait for winter to set in to get some more? Hope not!!:)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Probably when the evenings start drawing in Bob
I've collected shit loads of pics over the years, mostly my own but the thing is
perhaps I'm a bit jaded CX wise now
but most of it seems old hat to me and I'm not sure how much will be of genuine
interest to others.

Back on topic I have loads of pics of the many rusty old things that have turned up here,
frames, swinging arms, seats, mudguards
A veritable rogues gallery of rust and corrosion ! :D

·
Registered
220 Posts

They all rot from the inside out as well in my experience so fancy pants powdercoating
is just papering over the cracks if you dont treat the inside.

The top parts of the frame get surface rust but its rarely fatal
The gussets being thinner than the tube work go first
there are small holes on the very bottom seams, presumably to act as drains
which get clogged up so it wouldnt hurt to run a drill up there.
I drill 3mm hole in the rear facing sides of the gussets and rear footpegs so I can squirt in
WD40/ACF50 or any old antirustprene jollop etc every year using the thin applicator nozzles from the tins

I also flood my frames tubework with old engine oil after painting to try and give it some protection
and do similar when repairing swinging arrns cos they can rot for a pastime
Hi Reg, I'm just starting my very first bike project and am soon to send a frame away to be sand blasted so I can paint it.
Would you be able to put up some pics of the areas and holes you are talking about?
Seeing as I'm starting with a bare frame it makes sense to do any mods/drilling needed now
Cheers :D

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Ok will dig out all the corrosion related stuff i can find and do a page on that
later, probably this evening

Revhead
blasting can often turn wee holes into big buggers but its better to find an fix problems
before you paint or even more importantly, before you get it powder coated

I recall a guy who sent a frame away to be blasted and PC'd and the blasting process
made holes in the lower frame.
Instead of stopping there until repairs were done, they PC'd it anyway which made the repair
trickier, long winded and ugly.
As you can imagine the owner was very pissed off

I also recall checking a CX frame by tapping with my pointy hammer and sound metal gives a nice 'tink tink'
When the tip quietly disappeared inside, I found a PO had filled the lower frame with silicone sealer and painted over it.

BTW
both the early single spine and later triple spine frames are all prone
to rot in the same places.
The CX/GL 'rot zone' is anything under a line drawn level with the top of the battery, this includes the swinging arm and stand.
I've never found anything serious above that

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cool, good info. Pretty sure mines solid but that pin points areas to double check

1 - 8 of 8 Posts