Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First post of many me thinks as Ive just bought this little beauty for cash. It was advertised as a 86' (I know right)? CX500. However, there is many discrepancies with the log book and the actual numbers on the bike.

The frame number is GL5001001357
The engine number is CX500E2203955

The log book only says its a Honda, 2 wheeled vehicle. Bought to the UK (apparently from Southern Ireland) in 96'. No model, nothing. The Frame number matches the actual bike thank god but the Engine number on the Log Book is a GL500****

All very mysterious. Could anyone help? Ive googled the pants outta this quandary. The only thing that sounds remotely possible is that early 78 GL's for the Jap market may have had CX frames. Could anyone clarify this for me?

$_86 (1).JPG

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The engine number is from a CX500 Standard model (78-79) but not one with the cam chain recall.

The GL frame has a triple neck and the CX has a single so it's easy to tell

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

The engines are interchangeable but the Electrical would need changed as well since the CX has CDI box and the GL has the two small TI boxes

Likely someone replaced the GL engine with a CX. But you can look at these points and confirm

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The engine number is from a CX500 Standard model (78-79) but not one with the cam chain recall.

The GL frame has a triple neck and the CX has a single so it's easy to tell

View attachment 71713 View attachment 71721

The engines are interchangeable but the Electrical would need changed as well since the CX has CDI box and the GL has the two small TI boxes

Likely someone replaced the GL engine with a CX. But you can look at these points and confirm

Update - But you have the dual shocks not the monoshock and the wheels and tail look like a Standard. Check the neck and see which you have.
Were you reading VIN from the plate or the stamped neck? Make sure they match and someone didn't change the plate to get a title
Let us know what's up. Got me scratching my head too.

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
I thought that in some markets the CX500/400 was sold as a GL? It is clearly a "CX" frame as it is not pro-link rear suspension.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Learned something new. Cool!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But you have the dual shocks not the monoshock and the wheels and tail look like a Standard. Check the neck and see which you have.
Were you reading VIN from the plate or the stamped neck? Make sure they match and someone didn't change the plate to get a title
Let us know what's up. Got me scratching my head too.
The vin number is stamped on the head and it matches the log book. The GL500 engine thats on the V5 log book is GL500E1001378 which is close enough to match the frame right?

Do i need to look at the cam chain? There are no centre punches next to the engine number.

Thanks everyone

Chris

Hi Murray. I mailed you last week...I'll get back to you soon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That VIN / frame# rang a bell, seen that somewhere before.. something special about it ... after some checking my links archive I fond it (almost) on the Japanese club site, page there http://glcxfunclub.sakura.ne.jp/gl500g.htm shows a GL500 wing (that's a CX500 to us) auction there :

Knipsel.JPG

and that seems to be a sibling of your bike, one position earlier in the production line. As far as I understand the Japanese text (Dutch translation shown is from Google) this is a 1977 GL500 wing, so a very early bike. Your engine is, as mentioned by CX-viking, from a later model.

Ride it safely, Frans

·
Registered
258 Posts
You'll have a hard time finding 500 wing badges :cool: !

Note the difference in the front end as well, you have double discs, C or Gl style instruments and non-CX headlight, there has been some swapping there as well it seems.

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
The wing badges might be something someone with a 3D printer could dilly up. There are quite a few good templates floating around on the forum. Maybe Sidecar Bob has the graphics, and Motomicha dabbles in 3D?
I'm not sure if a one off deal would be feasible, but who knows what kind of market there might be?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts