Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turning left today I overlooked a grey pickup.

I caught movement after I started my turn and was already dedicated.

I figured I had just enough room to hit the throttle and not make him brake hard.

Like I said I found the red line on the tachometer. The sound changes A LOT

over 8,500 rpm also I thought it picked up power over 5,000 rpm that is nothing

until you see how much it jumps over 8,000 rpm!

The bottom line is he never got near me and the bike surprised me! I did not know

it had that hidden in there.

Do not misunderstand me I do not want to do that again but WOW what a surprise!

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
On every CX I've had, and even G-Loria, when pumped past the 7500 mark the bikes have nearly shot from under me. It is a tribute to the twisted twins' capability. It must have been a shocker whilst maneuvering as you describe it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Mine has NEVER done that! What's wrong?.....
I was thinking the same thing myself, and I'm turbo'd.

I think I may have lifted the front once but that's only 'cause I was going up a freeway ramp with a passenger and was on the throttle in 3rd, then nudged the bars for the lane change and the bike kept going straight.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes sir! these engines LOVE running 8000+ RPM. give it a shot, don't be afraid, next time a H-D revs that 96cu", give it a 9600rpm roar!

then smoke him, he'll think that, because he cant see you, he won.. you'll just be out and around the next corner.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Yes sir! these engines LOVE running 8000+ RPM. give it a shot, don't be afraid, next time a H-D revs that 96cu", give it a 9600rpm roar!

then smoke him, he'll think that, because he cant see you, he won.. you'll just be out and around the next corner.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
Extra weight of that fairing wouldn't help. My exhaust is significantly lighter [and may give a power advantage] than standard and I only weigh 130 pounds. My bike also has deleted the engine top hanger [TI bikes don't have it, mine doesn't need it] and a few other lightening 'thingies' here and there.

It also runs like a Swiss watch. Well.... Japenese Seiko.

And I'm a natural born ratbag.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,504 Posts
I have had an inch or so of air under the front wheel of mine a few times too, most commonly while accelerating hard from a stop sign into a break in traffic. And it not only has a fairing, but a sidecar too. The problem is that when the front wheel of a sidecar outfit comes up you can't steer it so I have learned to lean forward a bit to keep the wheel down when I take off like that

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

LOL: When ready to "Fly" Push your weight forward and push down loading the front end shocks... then simultaneously pop the clutch or goose it good in the powerband while unweighting the front end pulling up. (My Bicycle has enough juice to lift the front end when I do this.)

Shaft bikes are much harder to lift than chain drives. Linear torque and that kind of stuff I guess. I've driven a friends buell lightning and it will self pull the front end up while lazily rolling into the throttle in second gear. My Old CB750(s) would easily drive the rear wheel under the front wheel giving a great view of the sky and the various bruises to both bike and rider. My CX runs well but the clutch will slip a bit before the wheel lifts.

I don't know how these other cxers are doing it either.

This almost made the corn flakes come out of my nose...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECWjq-_jvdM&feature=watch_response[/media]

·
Registered
717 Posts
Even with my considerable bulk mine shifts like shit off a polished shovel .

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
Shaft drive bikes try to climb around their crownwheel, in extreme cases causing the rear of the bike to lift, rather than squat on accelleration.

This would go some way toward countering the torque from the driveshaft also trying to lift the front wheel.

Doesn't make it impossible but it's not in a shaft drive bikes favour.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I misplace a lot of things but red line I never lose. My motorcycle and I both like to get it out and play with it on a regular basis. I'm a chunk (285 lbs.) and mine lifts the front wheel going into second. It's not much height but, I can cross-up the front wheel and it's still going straight. I do suspect mine's a runner. To my way of thinking, Hondas are designed to be RPM engines. If everything is as it should be you don't have to worry about over-revving, you worry about missing a shift because of what it does to the transmission.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I wasn't surprised the first time I grabbed some airspace under my wheel in first gear. Not really surprised when it happened shifting into second. I WAS surprised when it happened while shifting into third though.

Some days later, I tried to lift it going into fourth, but all I did was to lighten the load on the forks - couldn't get it off the ground.

Shaft drive or not, these bikes have life in them. Or, mine does, anyway. None of us can speak for all of the twisted twins. There are probably some real dogs out there, due to poor maintenance.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Talking about the bikes or the riders?

How about the bikes, the riders, AND the rider's "better halves"?

On second thought - let's not go there, LMAO!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
One of the great mysteries is why two machines of the same model can run so much differently. Back in the day most of my friends worked as motorcycle mechanics and yeah, they were always getting somebody saying theirs didn't run nearly as good as their buddy's. They were right and there was usually nothing to be done for it. Day of the week they were made, the juju, bad combination of tolerance extremes, who knows what the cause is for the variation? What is extremely rare is for someone to own 2 of the same model and say they ran identically.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Mine occasionally surprises me by lifting the front wheel.

Not that I want to lift the wheel. I was just wondering if there is more I need to do? I do think that my carbs could be closer synced. I did notice a huge difference in what I was running and when I got them as close as they are now.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow a lot of replies!

All cool! I generally shift around 5000-6000 rpm. Pretty sedate. Not generally in a hurry.

I might have to fine that red line more often. I just feel guilty pushing a 34 yr old machine

that way!

I have NOT tried to get the front wheel off the ground but I would not be surprised (now) if

I could. I weigh in around 230 depending on the day of the week.

That video is a hoot. I will be forwarding that to my friends!

One who told me once 'it is amazing you can make that thing run' which I was not sure

if I should be insulted or complimented!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts