Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fond the part of my wiring harness that came from up near the steering stem. Man, it was a hack, no wonder I I had so many problems with the bike at first.

I totally rebuilt the harness myself, using another donor, and I soldered my connections - some of the connections on the old harness had exposed wire sticking out of butt connectors.

word of warning to new owners.... if you see duct tape around the wiring harness.... take a good look!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
when you unravel someone elses attempts at repairing/fixing electrical faults - it makes me wonder whether they had any clue what they were doing - or just hoping for the best - or just forgot to get back to doing it properly after a temporary fix.... most times I won't trust someone elses patch-up work and re-do questionable connections - it always gives some peace of mind before you head out an a long trip...

if you rebuilt/replaced it - then good on you...excellent......

·
Registered
640 Posts
I yi yi, that's awful looking. My Moto Guzzi wiring harness looked like that when I got it because it had a fairing, hard bags, truck, and a dozen little lights hanging off when I bought it. Previous owner stripped the wire somewhere in the middle and then just wrapped another wire around it and loosely wrapped tape around it. Yish, what a mess. I repaired it all but getting the sticky stuff off was a nasty job.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I yi yi, that's awful looking. My Moto Guzzi wiring harness looked like that when I got it because it had a fairing, hard bags, truck, and a dozen little lights hanging off when I bought it. Previous owner stripped the wire somewhere in the middle and then just wrapped another wire around it and loosely wrapped tape around it. Yish, what a mess. I repaired it all but getting the sticky stuff off was a nasty job.

Yeah, that is how the wires around the main fuse area were. There was no main fuse, and the wires replacing it were twisted together and taped up. Unbelievable.

I'll take my camera over hopefully tonight or tomorrow, and maybe take some pictures of how to splice wires correctly (Or at least as correctly as I know how)

Stitch

I shoot a Nikon D40, an older DX format DSLR, but a good one. Only have two lenses, but only need two (35mm 1.8F, and the 18-200mm VR)

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.