Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am new here. I always wanted CX but didn’t see anything available. I want to build custom bike based off CX. Today I stumbled upon crated engine on FB and bought it knowing how much it would cost dealing with getting old one perfect.
Anyways.. I am in, nos just need to find bike.

Have to be 1978, this is must. Need to have title. Everything else is optional. Obviously I don’t want $6k custom bike.

Let me know if you have one or know where I can find one.

Thanks and hope to post more once I get this project started!

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Hello!

I am new here. I always wanted CX but didn’t see anything available. I want to build custom bike based off CX. Today I stumbled upon crated engine on FB and bought it knowing how much it would cost dealing with getting old one perfect.

Have to be 1978, this is must. Need to have title. Everything else is optional. Obviously I don’t want $6k custom bike.

Let me know if you have one or know where I can find one.

Thanks and hope to post more once I get this project started!
Hi - I also saw that "crated" engine. It does look new, but probably rebuilt. Probably better to find a whole bike that is running. Also in St Louis - Webster Groves

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, judging by little details- it is new. All bolt heads etc unmarred, new radiator with factory marks, covers and so on.

yes, whole bike is preferable, but I don’t really care if it’s barn find of sorts, not much will be left anyways. Just need to have title.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel Asphalt
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think Brickhouse Builder is from that area. He's probably buying every CX/GL that comes up for sale in that area. Check with him. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Brickhouse Builder is from that area. He's probably buying every CX/GL that comes up for sale in that area. Check with him. Good luck in your search.
Yes, he is nearby. My understanding he is doing something different now. At least two last projects he bought not cx/gl

Is 78 somewhat rare? See some 79s around but no 78s

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Well, judging by little details- it is new. All bolt heads etc unmarred, new radiator with factory marks, covers and so on.

yes, whole bike is preferable, but I don’t really care if it’s barn find of sorts, not much will be left anyways. Just need to have title.

View attachment 213740 View attachment 213741 View attachment 213742
Sorry misread your post, you have already bought the engine. Thought about getting it myself- it looks good. Don’t recall seeing any 78s but if I do I will let you know. Seen a few 79s. Is 78 a significant year for you personally or are you looking for the first CX year?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry misread your post, you have already bought the engine. Thought about getting it myself- it looks good. Don’t recall seeing any 78s but if I do I will let you know. Seen a few 79s. Is 78 a significant year for you personally or are you looking for the first CX year?
78 for me personally. I have 3 other bikes all from 1978 :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Although not exactly nearby, I have a complete 78 Standard in need of an engine. I am in Mpls, Mn, If you can come and get it. It's yours.

Steve

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Engine looks great - you could put it in your lounge as a work of art!
The lady next door to me came over and saw my 500 engine on the workbench and said she thought it looked art... :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The lady next door to me came over and saw my 500 engine on the workbench and said she thought it looked art... :p
Yep. I know one of those engines made into running prototype on Youtube. But I prefer to run it in MC. And yes, it's not 78, but I guess it's not a problem to put it into 78 frame?

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL500i
46 Posts
Hello!

I am new here. I always wanted CX

Have to be 1978, this is must. Need to have title. Everything else is optional. Obviously I don’t want $6k custom bike
I will have a 1978 CX500 titled in my name in about a week or so. Had to have a LEO sign-off on a VIN verification form, so slight delay.

It isn't complete but IMO has the important bits. Got it for the price of my time, a tank of fuel, the price a 1day trailer rental and title transfer. So cover those expenses & it's yours. PM me to discuss.

It is in WV @ Zip 26554.

Offer stands til someone wants it.

i got it from another member who'd be much better at detail questions.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,705 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.

I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

You may also want to go through that "new" engine because even if it has never been run every rubber part i it is over 40 years old and the bearings have been sitting in the same position for just as long.
I would highly recommend getting in touch with forum member Murrayf (AKA Murray of Murray's Carbs). He has recommissioned several crate engines over the years and can tell you how to tell if that is a genuine crate engine or just a used one that has been cosmetically restored and if it is what is needed if you want it to last. As he said in another thread about a crate engine
do you guys have any idea how much work it is to get a crate engine that has been in a box for 40 plus years ready to run?

you cant just fire it up and go it will kill the bearings that are dried and glued together.

whoever starts that engine better know what they are doing or it will be a paperweight in 500 miles DAMHIK
The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).
Done!

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.

I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).
Yeah. I am in a process of getting KZ650 (1978) going. It is nut and bolt restoration, keeping it for the most part original, so I know what it is. I also have 1978 R100/7 which was in perfect condition but I did go through everything (seals, grease, etc, etc) CX I bought is in approximately same condition as KZ was. I do not plan on "fixing it". It will be frame up build. This time I want to personalize it a little.

You may also want to go through that "new" engine because even if it has never been run every rubber part i it is over 40 years old and the bearings have been sitting in the same position for just as long.
I would highly recommend getting in touch with forum member Murrayf (AKA Murray of Murray's Carbs). He has recommissioned several crate engines over the years and can tell you how to tell if that is a genuine crate engine or just a used one that has been cosmetically restored and if it is what is needed if you want it to last. As he said in another thread about a crate engine
Very good point. It may have to come apart unfortunately. I still think it is crate engine, it is definitely not cosmetic resto, or someone did it perfect (I have good eye for this stuff). Didn't think about it like this, won't try to turn it.

The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.
Agree.. Thing is - I got it specifically to build something cool. I want it to be a rider but I want it to look great as well. I don't like cafe racers btw. I need more of a standard comfortable sitting. But I don't like cruisers either.

Anyways, I won't start working on this project for awhile. Maybe this winter. Right now I am finishing KZ and life happens. But I wanted CX in this year and had to get it since it was local, complete and with paperwork. It even runs. But I wouldn't ride it :))

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,264 Posts
But I wanted CX in this year and had to get it since it was local, complete and with paperwork. It even runs. But I wouldn't ride it :))
If it's road worthy, you should ride it. That's the best way to become familiar with the platform before you start customizing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it's road worthy, you should ride it. That's the best way to become familiar with the platform before you start customizing.
It needs new rubber yesterday and needs carb work. And needs «brake pads”. I bought year and title for the most part.

will take some work to make it safe rider

1 - 19 of 19 Posts