Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the forum archives, they're online now, and with a working search!

There shouldn't be (m)any broken links, but if there are, there's nothing I can do, the old forum isn't available anymore, it's gone for good.

Enjoy all!

Charles.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Thanks, Charles, great job so far.

The search and most of the links outside the post boxes are dead.

Teething pains I guess. I occasionally get a "image format invalid" error when trying to post jpg's, starting the reply or post over again, with the same links usually goes through without any error notes.

Also, is there any way to view "active" posts like the old list? The "View New Content" seems to have a date cutoff built in.

Thanks again, great work.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for all the hard work Charles. This site is a wealth of information to newbies like me!

·
Administrator
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very cool. Also remember you can use google to search for old posts and sometimes you can view googles cache of that page. I have used this method in the past when the old site was going down every so often.

That *is* google searching

Charles.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Check out the forum archives, they're online now, and with a working search!

There shouldn't be (m)any broken links, but if there are, there's nothing I can do, the old forum isn't available anymore, it's gone for good.

Enjoy all!

Charles.

Anyone notice that if you use the search to find a post in the archives, when you get the search results page a lot of the links bring a 404 error? It might be that google has to index the site again since it is back.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Are they still uploading? I'm still having trouble getting ALOT of the old ones to load...

I use the google search that you set up - it finds matches for them but when I click I get a 404 error message. (Same problem that you are having Allan)

I think it may be an issue of google needing to recrawl the site now that it has been re-uploaded. The thread was found in google search but the link provided did not work when I clicked on it. When I went to the actual old forum and browsed through the pages to find the thread - it was there and I was able to click on it. The thread number was different from the google search results to what it actually is on the forum. Maybe that will be corrected when google recrawls

So for example- the quick reference thread -

google search one of the links was

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/183627/ShowPost.aspx

which is dead (404 error).

but if I go to the actual forum and browse and navigate to it - it works but the address is different

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/88078/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
19 Posts
great

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I was just searching through the old forum again, as stated earlier the search is not working correctly, so I was using the page links at the bottom of the pages to go through them a couple of pages at a time,,it seems that in the "general discussion" forum the page links at the bottom of the pages will not work after page 20. It's like the pages are not there from 20 through 53 or something like that. In the "technical forum" the pages don't appear to be there from page 20 through 41 or so. I don't know if it is that the links are wrong or if the pages are actually not on the server,,but it is odd that the search shows them in the search results.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm wondering if the google results/links that we get the 404 error for are the ones that are within those "missing" pages. Major loss of data. I mentioned on the old board about the upcoming migration and suggested people back up anything that they might want for future reference. Some people came along and said that wouldn't be necessary as everything was going to be transferred. I replied back stating that sometimes things don't go as planned. Unfortunately I guess this is a case of that. I'm very disappointed that so many old posts were lost - a lot of collective time and knowledge has been lost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts