Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one realign the front end?

The repack went well except for 'Stupid' dropping one of the bearings in the abyss known as my motor! It only took 50 minutes and two beers to find it
Do I sound like I am complaining?

Here is a pic of the lost-but-found bearing.

Kack...

Races & cups cleaned and ready for some grease...

Freshly packed grease upper & Lower...

Have a Tie-down handy...you can see once you get the steartube seated, the tie-down helps keep everything in place.

So from here...is there a preferred way to realign the front end?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
There are various methods people use to align the forks. I have done it by assembling everything except the front fender, leaving all the fasteners slightly loose except the top clamps. I lower the bike and remove the jack. I then get on the bike hold the front brake and compress the forks as far as I can 5 or 6 times. Once I get the bike back on the center stand I tighten everything up to specified torque and install the fender.

I have also used the method of assembling everything but the front fender, leaving ALL the fasteners slightly loose except the top clamps, removing the fork caps, and lowering the bike with the jack till the forks top out (fully collapsed). I then tighten everything to specified torque starting with the lower clamps, then the axle clamps and the brace (you might not have a brace), then raise the bike back up till the tire is off the ground, and reinstall the fork caps and fender. It is not a bad idea to tie your center stand so it doesn't flip up while jacking down and up.

I like the second method better. I am sure others have other ways to do this.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
redcloud I am glad you posted this. I recently did a clean and grease on two sets of stock, ball type steering stem bearings
but I felt like a traitor doing it, so much talk about tapered roller bearings. I was even so bold to advise another
CX owner that he could do the same. The bikes ride fine and have for more than 30 years on ball bearings.
I am so relieved that I am not the only one to retain the old bearings. I had really planned on an All Balls kit
but I needed to finish the bikes and get on to other things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts