Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been thinkin about swpping out my old shocks for a set that except duel front brakes. "Shep" said in a post that CB400N, CB750, and CB900 forks bolt right up. im thinkin about buying a set of CB900 forks but i dunno what year will work on my 78 cx500. also will the front wheel work with duel brakes with these forks?

i'd really like to keep the front wheel if possible

im also planing on changing the MC with one from USA motorcycles that works for duel calipers.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
you need the whole front end of a duel set that includes the wheel

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
not a problem man why does it always seem like i am the only one that answers your questions??

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
no what i think it is is that i am always on here and i read a lot but thanks for the complement

·
Registered
458 Posts
you need the whole front end for the duel set, including the front wheel.

(Now you're not the only one).

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
lol thanks bear but i already told him that see i am getting smarter

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i said screw it and bought a twin piston caliper for a silver wing off ebay. hope the bleeder valve on this one doesn't snap off like mine did. soke her in WD-40!

·
Registered
422 Posts
i said screw it and bought a twin piston caliper for a silver wing off ebay. hope the bleeder valve on this one doesn't snap off like mine did. soke her in WD-40!

PB blaster works better than WD-40
(plus a little heat helps too)

Did you get the caliper bracket for the GL as well? I think they might be different...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good idea, i always forget about PB blaster. one of my firends is nuts about it. yes, i made sure it came with the bracket, it also comes with a decent set of used shoes too. but ill change those out for some EBC green pads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is PB blaster. Is it some sort of Peanut Butter gun or something. I would think it would really gum up the brakes using it, also squirrels go NUTS over it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
pb blaster is a brand name. mopar makes a good penetrating oil and Royal purple makes a freakin' sweet one

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i work on subaru's for past time enjoyment and wish i had some two days ago cause i snapped a head bolt off in the block. first time for a head bolt that for sure.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Spacetiger is back on line here.

Per this thread, here is my old thread where I put a GL650I fork on my GL500I: http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/155536/ShowPost.aspx

There are no pics on the old site, so let me know if you need to see any, and I'll upload them here on this site. If you decide to swap, try and take a set from an early 80's bike so you get a factory brace. By staying in the early 80's the bike can retain a factory look.

I have been busy trying to get my other bike - which turned out to be my commuter bike and my GL500 my old collector bike that gets ridden only so often - done. Here is a link with pics on my other bike so you can see what I've been doing. There are a few pics from my GL500I (don't know if you have to have a yahoo account to see the pics)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ipcrc...ode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

I did a fork swap of sorts on my commuter bike (PC800). I grafted the fork sliders (lowers) from a ST1100 and factory brace and fender. I swapped out the fork internals to use the compression and rebounding dampers from a 4th gen VFR750, then I ordered a new set of springs. It worked out nice (performance and looks as I had the aluminum polished). Oh, since I was in there, I upgraded the brakes too. I used 318mm vs 276mm discs, SS brake lines, and Suzuki GSX600 master cylinder. All my experience from the GL500I swap helped me get through this one.

Once I get done with the commuter bike, I will get back to my last project on the GL500I - modifying the ignition timing via changing out the springs. I have the piano wire to do this, but have not made the springs yet... This will be my first posted project here on the new CX/GL web site.

Jerry

·
Registered
269 Posts
Spacetiger is back on line here.

Per this thread, here is my old thread where I put a GL650I fork on my GL500I: http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/155536/ShowPost.aspx

Once I get done with the commuter bike, I will get back to my last project on the GL500I - modifying the ignition timing via changing out the springs. I have the piano wire to do this, but have not made the springs yet... This will be my first posted project here on the new CX/GL web site.

Jerry

Welcome back Space tiger!

Looking forward to more info on your projects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts