Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw the wood one you guys are using and i wanted to make something similar. i took a 1" SAE socket and notched it for the towers to sit in there. i just did this at work and won't have an opportunity to try it til Sunday. can't post a picture of it here

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
i saw the wood one you guys are using and i wanted to make something similar. i took a 1" SAE socket and notched it for the towers to sit in there. i just did this at work and won't have an opportunity to try it til Sunday
i just use a rag.

what job are you doing sunday?...fork seals and new fluid?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I must have gotten off easy, I just did it by hand on both bikes. My wife held the fork tube and I put the cap on (please don't read anything into that....).
Geeez,id love to post a reply

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
12" x 2" (diameter) pipe.

slightly crimp one end in a vise.

Drill a 5/8" hole in the other end, and stick a 12" x 1/2" rod half way through it.

Stick folded rag over fork cap to protect the metal.

Place crimped pipe over folded rag.

Field expedient fork cap tool.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
12" x 2" (diameter) pipe.

slightly crimp one end in a vise.

Drill a 5/8" hole in the other end, and stick a 12" x 1/2" rod half way through it.

Stick folded rag over fork cap to protect the metal.

Place crimped pipe over folded rag.

Field expedient fork cap tool.
Timothy,everything you post is spot on

this post has me spinning,any chance of a photo

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine were really easy if i were using the stock preload spring. i pulled it out and replaced it with a solid plug to stiffen everything up. i previously used a socket and extension for this but they were still 3/8" too short. this is a steel strut in place of the spring. its hard as hell to push the cap down now because there is no give in the plug. my original idea was to change the fork caps to something that i can weld a nut on the top, drill a hole down through it and run a bolt down to tension the strut and springs. my local hyraulic shops have never seen anything with that fine of a thread pitch so i'm on plan b... or c.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
At the risk of oversimplifying this issue, I used a speed handle, you know that crank looking thingy.

I used the appropriate size socket and pushed the cap down by pushing down on the top of the speed handle and cranked the cap on. Seemed pretty easy to me. Press down with my left hand and cranked with my right hand while holding the tube upright with my knees. This was done with stock springs.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
FWIW I remember a tip on the fork caps from a while back. Marking them with a sharpie or maybe a pencil at the point the last thread is about to release as you are undoing them will give you a precise spot to restart the threads when reinstalling them. That way you don't cross those fine threads up.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
377 Posts
At the risk of oversimplifying this issue, I used a speed handle, you know that crank looking thingy.

I used the appropriate size socket and pushed the cap down by pushing down on the top of the speed handle and cranked the cap on. Seemed pretty easy to me. Press down with my left hand and cranked with my right hand while holding the tube upright with my knees. This was done with stock springs.

Clever idea! I like it.

FWIW I remember a tip on the fork caps from a while back. Marking them with a sharpie or maybe a pencil at the point the last thread is about to release as you are undoing them will give you a precise spot to restart the threads when reinstalling them. That way you don't cross those fine threads up.

Joel in the Couve

I did this - I put the sliders in the vice, and the just used my hands to push them back on. I replaced my springs with progressive springs. Only had it fly off twice.....

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.