Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to put gsxr forks on my 1981 CX500 while keeping the 19” comstar wheels.
Replaced the hub bearings and spacers, to accommodate the new larger spindle, new spacers to centralise the wheel,
Had some disc spacers made for the brake discs which have new water jet cut floating spacer to fit with the original hub fixings.
New steering stem bearings too
The callipers each have about 6mm clearance from the wheel
Very simple and very cheap to do.

I can put this kit all together for anyone who wants to use it including all bearings, the disc centres can have a different pattern on if desired, I will be anodising these black.

Also had a new upper yoke made with risers to fit the gsxr fork, these can be made to fit on any fork set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
That looks really good, but there are offset 310mm rotors out there that fit the Comstar wheel.

Of course I'm racking my brain trying to remember what I got the rotor off of...I want to say a GS500 but I'm almost certain I had to redrill the GS500 rotor to fit it the wheel. They're out there, though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
one question, were the original "disc spacers" made out of aluminum or steel? Just curious of the long term reliability of aluminum for that application? I have no idea what the original material units were made of.

·
Registered
137 Posts
one question, were the original "disc spacers" made out of aluminum or steel? Just curious of the long term reliability of aluminum for that application? I have no idea what the original material units were made of.
Floating rotors and semi-floating rotors (like what most motorcycles have these days) are made of a "hub", the inside part, and the "disc" (self explanatory). The hubs are generally made out of aluminum or in some interesting cases titanium or even carbon fiber. Aluminum is usually used as the greatest balance between weight and longevity. They'll last longer than the disc in most cases. However, they're not made of soft common stuff. Any load bearing component of the brake system needs to be something like 7075 or better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts