Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Fork Swap Question

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  D-Fresh 
#1 ·
I have a 78 standard (i think that's what its called, please confirm/deny) and an 82 custom, I want to fix the 78 (see attached pics). I noticed that the 82 has the twin pot brake caliper and the 78 is a single. I'd like to swap the 82 in but noticed several issues:
1) Fork leg caliper mounting brake hole spacing is different
2) Fork diameter is different
3) Fork leg length is different
4) Fork geometry is different - one is a leading axle and the other isn't
5) One has air adjustable pre-load and one doesn't

If i could just bolt on the 82 caliper to the 78 i would but the bracket spacing is different, is there a way to do that or am i missing something?

So, i was pondering the idea of swapping the whole front end out but don't know if the steering stem is interchangeable between the two and if the steering geometry would be all out of wack even if the stem could be swapped? I am hoping someone has been down this road before and has an answer. If i have to go with the stock single pot so be it if the swap doesn't make sense. Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Doug

Font Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part
Font Auto part Vehicle Car Engine

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, your '78 is a CX500 Standard.
The steering stems are the same length, I believe, as are the bearings, so it should bolt right on.
The leading axle with decease trail a little, making it turn in faster, but less stable at speed (it will require more steering input to hold a line.)
The forks might be a little longer, given the Custom's slightly flattened rake, but I don't know how much. I haven't measured. This would raise the front some small amount, therefore increasing trail a little, but probably not enough to negate the effect of the leading axle.

Randall

#3 ·
Will the '82 caliper mate with the '78 bracket? Probably not, but something to consider.

Randall

#4 ·
No, the caliper brackets are different on the two bikes, that is what spurred this question. I wish they were the same. I will go with stock 1 pot caliper 😞. I was hoping i was missing something or the two were interchangeable with no ill effects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.