Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Fork Swap help!

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  baldgrimsbybiker 
#1 ·
I posted in the technical help forum and didn't get any response, so I'm trying here. This is what I am looking at. What should I look for in the triple tree to make sure that I won't have to do any welding or cutting of the neck?

The AllBalls.com website did not list a bearing conversion for this 81 Suzuki. Should I be concerned?

The Suzuki has 35mm fork tubes, my 78 cx has 33mm, so I will have to change the tree.

#2 ·
do you have the document floating around that has the different neck size bearings listed? I have one if not. i also have a document with the different form tube diam. listed. You may be able to cross reference them.

#6 ·
I have the same front end on my CX and after I measured up the both the standard CX steering shaft and the GS I found a supplier who mixed and matched the inner and outer races to make up a good pair of bearings. The steering stem is not a direct replacement but with the right bearing combination it is an easy swap. Just make sure you find the right bearings.

I am in the UK and over here there are several bearing suppliers who can supply Japanese quality taper roller bearings of various sizes which are more than suitable for the task. Most of them have options where you can select , for example , the inner bearing dia and it will come up with various out bearing dias to suit , they also include various widths as well.

If you select a shaft that is too long , but its section where the bearing sits is the correct length apart , then why not simply use shims to take up the slack to allow the nut thread to work .

Personally I have been fitting various forks to differing frames over the years that nowadays I would rather swap a front end over than try and repair the standard one - it usually works out cheaper for me. So long as I can get the steering stem to fit - then I will make the rest work ( I am a stubborn old sod LOL )

#7 ·
You just about brought tears to my eyes. Thank you SOOO much for your reply
+1 !!!!!!!!

Since you have the same front end and have purchased the bearings, did you keep your receipts or do you know where you got them from or what sizes they were?

#10 ·
I have since changed the tank and done a few more mods but here is the front end fitted to my bike, photo taken a year ago before I buried it under a load of timber in the garage (long story - believe me you do not want to know) [attachment=1420:CX500001.jpg]

Attachments

#11 ·
Awesome!!! Thank you!!! I was wondering how it would look with the 2 different rims
Especially since I just polished mine to chrome like. Not bad at all !!! Now if you could remember anything at all about the bearings ....

#12 ·
Nate,

All Balls can match up the bearings for you. You just need the diameters of the stem at the top and bottom of the tree where it will fit through the neck of the CX500 frame. All balls will know the bearing race sizes for the CX500 and they can look up the Suzuki bear dimensions. All balls has the external dimension of the stock CX500 bearing then it is a matter of a bearing ID to fit the OD so you can slip the bearing onto the Suzuki stem and mate to the CX500 neck. You may need to change the bearing races on top and bottom.

Measure the stem length to see what difference you have in the stem length since you have both. Then you can calculate the length you'll need for the shims, if any. You'll want to fabricate (aluminum works well) a dust cap for the all balls bearings for the top so the bears and your neck aren't exposed to water and other weather working its way easily into the neck and bearings.

Any good machinist can spin you a bearing cap to fit to it if you give them the dimensions...

There are several good threads on forks swaps from more modern bikes (Yamaha R1, R6) on the SOHC/4 forum.

Hope this is some helpful info. Sounds like baldgrimsbybiker has gone down that path before...

David

#13 ·
Over the years I have fitted many different makes of forks onto differing frames.These range from Kawasaki 250 forks onto a BSA ( later fitting Suzuki 400 ones onto same frame for a much better look) [attachment=1423:BSA.jpg]

Then I went one step further by fitting Honda CBR600 forks onto a BMW 750/6 [attachment=1424:rear mountBMW001.jpg]

The point of these photos is to show that with a little ingenuity and a bit of skill almost any forks can be made to fit almost any frame. My main skill and aim is to try and make conversions like these look as if they should be there and not just as an after thought by some sort of spanner monkey.

One thing to take into account when making modifications of this sort is to make sure that the forks are appropriate for the task. Make sure you get forks off an equal weight machine , or performance or one off a superior machine ( speed or weight ) to ensure that either the braking or suspension characteristics improve the original and that you do not take a step backwards .

Attachments

#14 ·
try simply bearings .co.uk . They supplied me with a set that fitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.