Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So, I'm looking at my wonky front end.

I know that I have a bent front fork. So, firstly I am looking at that and at an 81 CX500 selling its front end w/ 35mm forks. ("Full front end with forks / triple clamps / fender / rim with rotor")

Can anyone speak to the compatibility of the stanchion from an 81 CX in my 82 GL500's fork assembly? Wiki says they are the same but I can't wrap my head entirely around it.

Are the tubes the same length?

Cheers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect, thanks murray.

I had a read in my manual, and the difference in spring lengths for the two models made me question it.

Hurrah!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
where is your fork bent ? Is it possible to remove the bent stanchion and have it pressed true? Any capable engineering shop should be able to press out a slight curve to be near enough to true for normal riding purposes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies muzza and murray.

I have Frank's number on file for that exact 'all else failed' moment.

muzza, the fork appears to take a minute (0.x degree) bent toward the back of the bike just below the left bottom triple clamp.

Went for a test run today to feel the brake bleeding job I did (good & firm now) and my handlebars are 10 degrees to the right going in a straight line. Why would my handlebars be so untrue? I centered them with the ignition, measured, etc. on a straight bike they would be straight.

Stopping after 10 miles I noticed oil on the left fork (the bent, questionable one).

Got some pretty intense vibrations at 55mph on the highway in the wind. Did not get these same vibrations at the same speed on a nice single lane road up behind where I live.

So, the forks are coming out. I know I need seals, and as they are out I will do a more in depth inspection. I have some understanding of all the possibilities that could be torquing my forks one way or another, so it's time to truly inspect these legs.

Part of me suspects the triple clamps or something in there. Straightening those, though. I'd need a press. A big fucking press.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would suspect that your bars are at fault here more than bent stanchions. Have you taken a straight edge to the bars to measure the distances from end of bars to a known point of referance? I am guessing your bars are bent from a previous event.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts